Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #141
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQ View Post

Just a couple observations: While these lights look very nice, the quality is quite not on par with OEM. The housing is very flexible and the top of the inner light housing must have rubbed on the lens during shipping leaving a small scratch on the upper part of each lens. Not really a big deal. also If you look closely you can see the internal wiring through the gaps in the housing.
MaxQ:
My lights encountered the same thing being rubbed, what I found was when I turned to lock the light in, it pushes up the projector light into the upper part of the lens.
When I locked the light in, the force required over the OEM was much harder to lock in.
While these light are a cheaper version of the OEM they do add a modern look to the car at a economical price.
I have the DEPO rear lights that have bulb's for turn signals and reverse lights with LED's for running and brake lights. With bulbs being in the rear for turn signals it didn't require a LED flasher.

I have the 3rd LED brake light due to arrive this week with a load resistor.

Last edited by tony_fury; 09-18-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling
tony_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC010 View Post

Did Jeremy say anything about the fog lights melting the black coating?

Remember, dont use the fogs until we have a fix to the heat the halogens generate.
Yes, he did advise not to use the H7 bulbs, they melt the housing. The LED H7 Work fine and look good. Not great replacements for lighting up the road though.

All in all, really not bad at all for the cost.
MaxQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #143

I'm going HIDs. They burn cooler. Should come in today, will keep you all posted
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #144

led flasher fix

Hey PCC010,
Thanks for the info , i appreciate it.
Jeff just mentions to use the existing fog lights or similar in his advice regarding the problem. To be honest I never have used them. Actually never knew I had them till this forum came up, lol.
All the best and keep up the good work.

Marchie
Marchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #145

The housings just came in! They're gorgeous!

Pics to come!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #146

My turn:

Comparison between the old and the new

All lights off

All ready to go. HID Projector Headlamps H1 6000k

Foglamps. Cooler 6000k H7 HIDs

Pretty thing

Porsche HID LED Projector Headlamps - YouTube
That link includes the awesome turn signals and everything in action.

Fit is perfect. My high beams didn't come with a housing, so we need to sort that out. But as far as I can tell, these things look beautiful

Last edited by Crono0001; 09-18-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #147
SoK

Looks awesome
Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #148

Crono, they look spectacular on Black!

So does the HID resolve the overheating issue for the H7s?
MaxQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #149

Drove around with it all day. Haven't seen any cracks yet. I know for a fact that the HIDs are not as hot as halogens as they don't melt snow. I'll take some more pictures at night... I can't stop looking at her.

A few things:
The fit is near perfect. There isn't a seal at the bottom but unless you were looking for it, you wouldn't notice it.
The quality is excellent. The thing is lighter than the stock BOSCHE lights. They're also very sturdy as a one piece replacement. No flimsy triangles. You can see the wires inbetween the housing cracks but you won't see it unless you REALLY look for it.
My light came without high beam housings... so I have no high beams for now. Trying to get that sorted out with JezzSB.
The HID retrofit was the hardest part... but it was done within an hour. These things are definitely worth your money if you want an alternative to litronics. The turn signals and LED accents are the best part. Certainly a head turner.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #150

How do you like the cutoff and beam pattern?

I've known of some aftermarket projectors that have worst light output than oem halogen believe it or not cause it throws the lights into a few hot spots and are uneven, not to mention glare for oncoming drivers.
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #151

The cutoff isn't as good as my brother's 996 or my mom's Merc C300... but it still works. But the light output compared to my OEM lights is definitely higher (both using HIDs).

Then again, I have my HID fogs, which blind everyone on the road if I ever decide to.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
My turn

Fit is perfect. My high beams didn't come with a housing, so we need to sort that out. But as far as I can tell, these things look beautiful
great! now go paint those intake grills:
http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/24641-painted-radiator-grills.html
Old 09-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #153

a carbon fiber RUF front bumper is on its way
no need to paint the grills
Old 09-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #154
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:

Pretty thing

"Dang!!! That's cool..."

Last edited by particlewave; 09-20-2012 at 04:19 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #155

Smile Recieved my Headlights!!!

I received my headlights yesterday and after installing them i gotta say they update the look of your car 10+ years easily!! Im super stoked about this purchase and the functionality of these headlights. There is so much going on with these headlights in terms of their function i.e. white LED turn signal turns off while amber LED turn signal lights blink, LEDS around projector are on when the headlights are turned on, of course the fog lights and high beam light. These headlights do alot for the minimal installation they require. Im truly pleased with my purchase and most importantly Jeff at Xtremem Motorcars was above and beyond helpful every step of the way! Call Him at (707)350-0415, He will take care of you so purchase with Confidence for sure.

Happy boxstering!

I2otar329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #156

Garage
so my car has HIDs and headlight washers. Will these lights still work with that setup? Or what would need to be done to make it work.

Thanks for any info
Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleturner2020 View Post
so my car has HIDs and headlight washers. Will these lights still work with that setup? Or what would need to be done to make it work.

Thanks for any info
No. You'll need to purchase completely new HID bulbs. Window washers will also not work with this setup.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #158

i am having problems with fitment. i can't seem to get them to "lock" in. tony fury said he had to dremel his. anyone else having this issue? i tried to force it and still could not "lock" it. it never clicked and i nearly bent the small tool that comes with the box trying. i am afraid if i brake hard enough, the darn thing will just fly right off. as it is now, i can toggle it loose and pull it out.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #159

[QUOTE=PCC010;304189]The fitment is perfect; its the seal on the passenger side which sits slightly higher than the car body. Approx 4 inches at the top.

I understand what you mean with the click - after pulling and installing the lights you get used to the click!

Daytime running you get plenty of admirers - it really has moved the age of the car forward.

Set the lights up (pain in the but pull out / install each time you make an adjustment, but I suppose once you've done it, its done.

As the lights are a projector reflector cut off is pronounced - used to it as the Evo has projector lights fitted.

The original Porsche lights were good - are these better - difficult to say, just take some getting used to. I'm running Philips H1 Visionstreams for the drive / main beam and H7 Extreme Power for the fogs.

are you saying that you don't get a click now?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #160

Garage
Quote:
No. You'll need to purchase completely new HID bulbs. Window washers will also not work with this setup.
need to find a way to make it work. I think these will look crazy good on my car.