Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

Cup Holder Question

Hi all, as you may know, boxster 986 doesnt have any cupholders, im using MP3 in car so CD holders are useless to me, anyone any suggestions on anything i can do here to fit a neat set of cup holders?

Cheers

M

McQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaid View Post
Hi all, as you may know, boxster 986 doesnt have any cupholders, im using MP3 in car so CD holders are useless to me, anyone any suggestions on anything i can do here to fit a neat set of cup holders?

Cheers

M
You must have an '02 or earlier.

If you move your climate control head down below, you can install this in its place:
Cup Holder - Dash Mounted Kit:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

IMO, if you are drinking something in your Porsche, you shouldn't be driving your Porsche. This is why the 986 cupholders were so crappy, the Germans think cupholders are a joke.

But anyway, look at the second picture down

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/index.html
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
IMO, if you are drinking something in your Porsche, you shouldn't be driving your Porsche. This is why the 986 cupholders were so crappy, the Germans think cupholders are a joke.

BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.
When I drive for 5 hours through the desert to get to Flight 34 in Phoenix, you can bet I am using BOTH of my crappy Boxster cup holders.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post
You must have an '02 or earlier.

If you move your climate control head down below, you can install this in its place:
Cup Holder - Dash Mounted Kit:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn
Expensive but looks good..will have a think, cheers
Old 11-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post

BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.
Looks good, I'd be a bit worried it may be quite difficult to use as I'm 6ft 1", not a lot of leg room down there already
Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #7

Porsche never got the cup holders right on the 986.

I assume the IMS bearing and the cup holders shared the same crack engineering team.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post
When I drive for 5 hours through the desert to get to Flight 34 in Phoenix, you can bet I am using BOTH of my crappy Boxster cup holders.
I've driven from CO to MN several times in sports cars without any cupholders. Cars from the days before people apparently needed cupholders. Somehow, I survived. I wonder what everyone who thinks they need a cupholder in their car now did before 1990? Yeah, that's right, the good old days.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-03-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaid View Post
Looks good, I'd be a bit worried it may be quite difficult to use as I'm 6ft 1", not a lot of leg room down there already
I'm the same height. They were in my car when I bought it. No clearance problems as you can slide them around to where-ever is the least intrusive. You can even put two on the passenger side instead of one on each side. They're big so they can take a good sized drink. The nice thing about that location is you can't spill something on the console. I've purchased a couple of cars that needed a thorough cleaning to get all the sticky mess out of the grill and stereo. I, of course, sold them as soon as I got the car home.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-03-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #10

Garage
I have one of these for sale

Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #11

Do you still have a set of the much coveted cup holders for sale?
How much do you want?
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #12

Garage
Are they really coveted?

In my opinion they are very awkward, you have to reach over and back with your left hand to grab the cup! Or use your right hand and look like you are having a fit.
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #13

Garage
Thats because true sports car arent supposed to have cupholders. Hince the reason all ferrari's, lamborghini's, mazerati's and most aston martins never came with cupholders. Only recently have these companies started putting in terrible cupholders that feel cheap and are in the most unusable places... It's not the engineers fault, they just can't justify adding and extra 5-10 pounds for cupholders...

However; they are very nice and convinent. Just buy the ones linked and be done with it. If you're 6'1' and you want cupholders that bad, then you should probably buy a different car, since car's dont stretch over time or develop large, supple cupholders as they age.
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #14

Have the best of all worlds. Get this $5.99 cup holder from Autozone. It wedges between the center console and one of the seats (I use it on the passenger seat side). When not in use, I store mine behind the passenger seat where its out of sight. Very useful and very cheap.

TSI Products/Wedgie cup holder (35101-3) | Cup Holder and Mugs | AutoZone.com_
Attached Images

past: 2010 Boxster S

Last edited by turbo23dog; 12-28-2011 at 07:58 AM.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
Thats because true sports car arent supposed to have cupholders. Hince the reason all ferrari's, lamborghini's, mazerati's and most aston martins never came with cupholders. Only recently have these companies started putting in terrible cupholders that feel cheap and are in the most unusable places... It's not the engineers fault, they just can't justify adding and extra 5-10 pounds for cupholders...

However; they are very nice and convinent. Just buy the ones linked and be done with it. If you're 6'1' and you want cupholders that bad, then you should probably buy a different car, since car's dont stretch over time or develop large, supple cupholders as they age.
Wow, what does a 10 pound cupholder look like?

I'm not a fan of the trend, but cars do seem to stretch over time and develop cupholders