Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #1

Boxster - Help - Before disconnecting battery...?

I plan to do the OBC hack on my '03 986. Since doing the job requires disconnecting the battery, I figure I'll do a battery replacement concurrently.

Question: What do I need to look out for before/after doing a battery disconnect?

The manual makes all kinds of references to window positions, memory, etc. Is this real or just takes care of itself?

Radio: My '03 was purchased used, and I see no radio card anywhere. The manual, and the radio manual, make no reference to a radio card or code. Maybe the radio in '03 doesn't have a code? The manual only refers to a transponder in the radio that is matched to the car.

Anything else I should know before/after?

Cheers,
Ron

ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post
I plan to do the OBC hack on my '03 986. Since doing the job requires disconnecting the battery, I figure I'll do a battery replacement concurrently.

Question: What do I need to look out for before/after doing a battery disconnect?

The manual makes all kinds of references to window positions, memory, etc. Is this real or just takes care of itself?

Radio: My '03 was purchased used, and I see no radio card anywhere. The manual, and the radio manual, make no reference to a radio card or code. Maybe the radio in '03 doesn't have a code? The manual only refers to a transponder in the radio that is matched to the car.

Anything else I should know before/after?

Cheers,
Ron
Disconnecting the battery will require re-coding the radio. If you don't no the code (because you don't have the card) you'll be SOL !
Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #3

Really? The manual fr the radio says nothing about a code whatsoever.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #4

You can buy a little electrical socket doodad at an auto store for about $6. One end plugs into your cigarette lighter and the other end has terminals for a 9 volt battery. You just snap in a 9 volt alkaline battery, plug the socket into your cigarette lighter and then remove your battery. The 9 volt battery provides enough power to the car's electrical system so you don't have to reset your clock or reset the code on your radio.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
You can buy a little electrical socket doodad at an auto store for about $6. One end plugs into your cigarette lighter and the other end has terminals for a 9 volt battery. You just snap in a 9 volt alkaline battery, plug the socket into your cigarette lighter and then remove your battery. The 9 volt battery provides enough power to the car's electrical system so you don't have to reset your clock or reset the code on your radio.
Would plugging in my cigarette socket battery maintainer do the same thing?
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
Would plugging in my cigarette socket battery maintainer do the same thing?
maybe, maybe not... depends on maintainer. The majority of off the shelf maintainers do NOT include this function...

For clarification (not knowing what MY you have), any Porsche from '03+ does not have or need a radio code punched in after power disconnect. They are all MOST fiber optic connected and electronically shake hands w/ the other components in the system to create a fiber optic loop. If any/all don't work after disconnect, you'll need to see a dealer or indy w/ the PSTII or PIWIS system to get them communicating w/ each other again (rarely does this happen though).

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 10-24-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
maybe, maybe not... depends on maintainer. The majority of off the shelf maintainers do NOT include this function...

For clarification (not knowing what MY you have), any Porsche from '03+ does not have or need a radio code punched in after power disconnect. They are all MOST fiber optic connected and electronically shake hands w/ the other components in the system to create a fiber optic loop. If any/all don't work after disconnect, you'll need to see a dealer or indy w/ the PSTII or PIWIS system to get them communicating w/ each other again (rarely does this happen though).

I have a 2003 986, and the manual for the radio (and the other for the car) make no mention of a code at all. Are you sure all 2003+ have MOST? How would I know?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #8

Yes 1,000% sure. All Porsche from 2003 and beyond use the MOST fiber optic loop w the OEM sound system set ups. No codes required as all is done electronically thru "handshakes" between various components authorized/approved on the system/in the loop thru PSTII or PIWIS.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #9

Err...great. Does this mean when I put in an Pioneer AVIC nav system I need to also put in a new amp, since it's incompatible with MOST?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #10

Follow up

Follow up to this...

1. After disconnecting the battery I did NOT need to enter a radio code. (Thanks BurgBoxster)

2. The alarm did not sound when reconnecting the battery.

3. On seeing the battery I found that the previous owner had installed some cheap-o, undersized Interstate unit. FAIL. That came RIGHT out and I replaced it with a proper Bosch full sized unit ($155). Anything but a Bosch (or better) in that battery tray just looks wrong.

As for the OBC hack, I highly recommend it, but wouldn't bother with installing a new stalk, using a new button on the dash works just fine.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #11

I read somewhere that the whole turning the key and alarm situation applies only to ROW models that have an extra battery and or alarm siren to go off if power is removed without doing the ignition thing. Where ever I read that said US models do not have these parts and the procedure is thus not necessary. Just my 2 cents, cause if what i Read is true, you are both right, just have different models.
Focusyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusyn View Post
I read somewhere that the whole turning the key and alarm situation applies only to ROW models that have an extra battery and or alarm siren to go off if power is removed without doing the ignition thing. Where ever I read that said US models do not have these parts and the procedure is thus not necessary. Just my 2 cents, cause if what i Read is true, you are both right, just have different models.
That makes sense. The person who said the alarm would go off was from the UK (see below). That explains the difference.