Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #1

Help Required For Stereo Install

Hi folks, im new to the board and am looking for some help.

I am going to be upgrading single DIN stereo to probably a kenwood double DIN. I believe that you can get the double DIN fascias. I was just wondering if anybody knows where to get them from, is it an eBay job or anybody on the web, I have a 2004 986 Boxster with black interior.

Also how hard is it to move everything around.

Any help is gratefully received

Thanks

Nic

D17NCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #2

I'd look on eBay or a dismantler for the fascia piece that you want. You could probably also get one direct from Porsche. Do a search on here though for "MOST" and you'll see you have other hurdles to overcome with changing the headunit on an '04 Boxster. They use an optical system for data transfer (communication with the amplifier). So you need to either change out the headunit along with the amp, or utilize the amp in the headunit, but using the OEM amp will not be a cost effective option (there are some spendy connection options) with an aftermarket headunit.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #3

Kirk is right. Most of the install problem is with the MOST bus.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

Thanks for that guys....I am still going to go ahead with the install...will probably be on here asking for advice....talking of advice....what amp would you recommend....i have the BOSE package installed at the moment...I was thinking of taking out the CD changer...(mainly because it doesnt work!).....also installing 2 new subs behind the seats....but then i am thinking how would that affect the BOSE sub.....I have got a comprehensive guide off a fellow member on the MOST problem!

Thanks

Nic
D17NCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #5

I wouldn't worry about the Bose sub. If you're going to install your own head unit, own amps, and own subs, then what do you even need the Bose sub for? Once you bypass the OEM amp the Bose sub probably won't work anyway. To that point the MOST bus won't matter either if you're just replacing everything with your own components.

As for what amp to buy.... it's been years since I've needed to buy new stereo equipment. I just keep recycling my stuff from car to car. But back in the day, I really liked the heavy duty amps that were under-rated for power. Stuff like Rockford Fosgate that would hit hard and pump out the tunes all day long without breaking a sweat. A lot of the Japanese brands - Eclipse, Alpine, Sony, etc. just could not do that. Personally, I've got JBL stuff in my cars now, but I used to work for them. If Rockford still makes good stuff I would lean that way. This last weekend I dusted off an old Rockford Fosgate Symmetry EPX2 EQ and crossover and installed it in my 914. Despite being from like 1998 it worked flawlessly.... good stuff.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #6

I can't find the double din kit for my 986 either

I see it on ebay for the 987, but not for our car. :ah:
jsin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #7

Harness for 2001 Boxster

Who stocks the best harness so I can wire up an aftermarket stereo (and not have to cut up the car's wire loom)?

The one on crutchfield appears to be for an Audi and some of the reviews state it has problems in a Boxster.

Bob
BMAN_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #8

Kits

With a vehicle with MOST, it is not really that difficult to swap out as you may think. Lots of the 9X7 guys and 9X6 guys have done it before.

The difference in cost between a hu replacement in a non MOST and MOST vehicle should literally be the cost of a new amp & corresponding wires plus a little more work for the amp mounting/connection. As for the speaker wires, you simply tap the signals at the speaker wire harness currently attached to the factory amp.

Here is a link I found that has color identifications for the speaker wires that may help you when you want to make the connections (see post #7):

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/226668-pioneer-z120bt-about-install.html

trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote