Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Garage
brake pad replacement

im getting ready to replace brake pads on my 01 boxster, can anyone recommend a brand of pads and best place to purchase?

mark

SDBxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #2

Personal opinion Textar are one of the best pads for Porsche's. I've had then on my 987 for ever and im very happy. No dust no squeze.
joekats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:48 AM   #3

Anything wrong with OEM pads? I haven't had to replace mine yet (my Box was "pre-owned"), but I'm getting close to that point. I haven't yet tracked my car, but I've been pleased with what's on there. (Buying the Boxster, I finally truly learned the meaning of the expression "Stops on a dime.")
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #4

I have been using the EBC Redstuff brake pads on the street and I have been very pleased with them, the least amount of brake dust of any pad I have ever used.

EBC REDSTUFF LOW DUST SUPERSTREET BRAKE PAD SET -- Manufactured from a superb aramid fiber and enhanced ceramic particles without metallic pad blend; EBC Redstuff Low Dust Superstreet pads lessen dust emitted by OEM pads by approximately 80 percent and reduce rotor wear so that rotors and pads last longer whilst delivering great brake performance from cold up to race temperature; Built with shims, slots, and chamfers for silent braking; Coated with red surface Brake-In compound; EBC Redstuff Low Dust Superstreet is for fast street use and targets High HP imports, muscle cars, and prestige European cars
Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #5

Frodo, there's nothing wrong with OEM pads if you don't mind paying far more for them from a stealership and you don't mind all the brake dust they throw off.

+1 on Textar. I just went to Pagid because they had a good deal on them when I bought my replacement rotors.

BTW, anyone reading this thread in the future should know that if you want even better brakes on your boxster, the quick (and relatively inexpensive) way is to replace the factory brake lines with stainless steel ones found on eBay and use Super Blue fluid. It's a very noticeable difference.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #6

Garage
thanks guys, ill go with the textar
Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Frodo, there's nothing wrong with OEM pads if you don't mind paying far more for them from a stealership and you don't mind all the brake dust they throw off.

+1 on Textar. I just went to Pagid because they had a good deal on them when I bought my replacement rotors.

BTW, anyone reading this thread in the future should know that if you want even better brakes on your boxster, the quick (and relatively inexpensive) way is to replace the factory brake lines with stainless steel ones found on eBay and use Super Blue fluid. It's a very noticeable difference.
just did that yesterday. its a little bit of work but fun and well worth it. even threw on the GT3 brake ducts.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks for the endorsement...no offense joekats (REALLY ), but it's always nice to have TWO posters recommend a product. I'll be shopping for them soon!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #9

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
i'm running Akebono pads. great stopping, no squeal and almost completely dustless.

:dance:

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #10

Mintex pads here...work perfect and have great stopping power.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #11

Oh, Geez...you guys had to go and confuse things.

A related question. My rear pads are near the wear indicator mark, whereas my fronts have maybe 40% left. If I just do the rears for now, is it bad to switch away from OEM pads for just the rears and leave the OEMs on front??
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Generally, the pads should be the same brand/model of pad for the front and rear.

If they are different brands/models then there is risk is that the material characteristics (coefficient of friction, heating, fading, etc) might be different enough between the two brands that it would change the braking bias between front and rear - which may not be desirable.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #13

I chose Textars from Pelican Parts a few months ago. Also flushed & bled brake & clutch fluid at the same time. I really like the Textars... just a touch more initial bite than the stock pads they replaced and incredibly easy to modulate. Some of the improved brake feel may be due to fluid flush/bleed.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #14

I'd love to see a DIY for pads, stainless lines and duct install if anyone can remember the details enough to post some basic steps?

Regards,
Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:
It's not often I do not entirely agree with Randall, however unless you plan to frequently autox or track your boxster I would stick with oem style brake lines, they will remain effective longer than the steel braided version. And ATE Superblue should to be replaced more often than your more average GL4/5 synthetic brake fluid. While the ate superblue will withstand higher temperature/higher boiling point, its effective hygroscopic life span is considerably shorter (45-60 days). Both are generally for racing/competition applications and most race oriented components get replaced more frequently. Thats MHO anyway

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #16

Two things:

First, I use Motul 600 brake fluid for track work. It has a higher boiling temperature than the Blue stuff.

Second, I don't understand why it's so hard to change the Boxster S brakes. On my 944 Turbo, there's a simple spring clip that retains the pads. Takes about 2 minutes to swap pads once the wheel is off, no tapping a pin out required. This is the same as the 928 GTS Big Black brakes I have on the car, too. Anyone know why Porsche changed this?
hcj986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #17

^ simple economics would be my guess.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #18

Textar Brake pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBxstr View Post
thanks guys, ill go with the textar
How did they work out for you? I am planning to buy front pads this week and do the job myself. Your comments will help my purchase. thanks
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #19

Garage
replacing front pads

one of the easiest jobs ive done on my boxster, i went with the texstars. i did this over a year ago during one of my good days on chemotherapy! good luck!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #20

Brake Fluid?

Hello,

Need new front pads and very likely new rotors as there is a very noticeable lip on the current rotors. Rears look in better shape.

I bought new Rotors and pads and plan to do the change soon. I do have a couple questions,

What brake fluid should I use for the flush and fill..... oem from stealer?

How much fluid should I have on hand for the flush and fill?

As far as pads I just cannot make up my mind between Textar and Akebono ceramic. I am not hard on the brakes and would really like to eliminate the dust. After reading the post below I may just change out the rear pads so they all match.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike in CA is offline   Reply With Quote