Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #1

987 Schnell short shift install advice

I scrolled through the section and could only find a thread on installing a 997 shift assembly in a 986 which, by the way, was well done and quite informative.
I got a Schnell short shift kit on it's way with the metal replacement for the plastic cable end that is claimed to break. (I have not seen complaints on this breakage, but hey, it will already be apart and I know what happens when you say to yourself, "oh, I'll be careful not to break that!")
Has anyone done this mod and, if so, do you have advice on what to watch out for?
I'm a decent wrench but have a bit of a patience issue with some interior stuff.
I have serious measuring equipment, so I don't think replacing the cable end should be a big issue unless it's impossible to get to it to measure before it's taken apart. I do plan on measuring the shift shaft end to a good spot, in case I have to make adjustments to return the shifter to the same starting spot after the install.
Any advice will be well appreciated.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #2

Garage
I put a schnell ssk in my 986. Take your time to get it adjusted and you'll love it. Play with the adjustable bushings on the ends to get them to your liking before putting the console completely back together. I didn't replace the linkage piece as many people on other sites say don't bother, not needed, or just another thing to go wrong or worry about. It's been in over a year and no problems with the stock linkage piece since install and 59k total miles on car.
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:32 AM   #3

Thanks Pirate. What do the adjustable bushings adjust? It must be the firmness of the left to right movement of the shaft since that is how the shifter moves in the bearings?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #4

Well, they both came in the mail today, so................the time is near!!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #5

This is BS!!
THe ONLY instruction Schnell has is for 996.
B&M has instructions on their website for 986, but they are really stupid, like "remove shift boot" Yeah, no ********************, but HOW??? I'm sure there are about ten little plastic clips that will break if you force it the wrong direction.
Been there, done that, not doing it again.
I will continue my search for 987 instructions, but beware,
Schnell claims easy to follow instructions and lists 987 as a car for their kit, with no particular instructions for that model.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #6

Got most of the info from a buddy who has access to online techsite that he pays dearly for.
Have an afternoon appointment, so had to put it off for another day.
Since there don't seem to be any instructions anywhere, I will try to take good pics and do a step by step for other 987 owners who are interested.
Until the next chance.............