Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #1

drivers side air vent repair

I have to repair the guide vanes on the drivers side. The vertical actuator link (looks like a saw blade) has broken.....just have the two screws out on the side but the vent does not budge....this is a leather dash so...

Is there another third hidden fastener? Is it the headlight switch nut?

Is there any hope of repairing the spindly vert. acutator anyway???

jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #2

....yes has anybody had this "vent box" out mine wont budge and would hate to break something or start prying on leather
Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
....yes has anybody had this "vent box" out mine wont budge and would hate to break something or start prying on leather
I took these pictures when I was painting parts of my interior, if you look carefully you will see the hole for the third screw,
As you thought it is behind the light switch (pull the switch out and press the tab underneath with a slim screwdriver it should pull straight off) then remove the light switch nut, the third screw is angled towards the centre of the dash.
The vent takes a bit of "tugging" but should come out, once out all the parts are numbered,hopefully you will be able to click the vertical actuator back in place.

PM me if you have any problems.

Last edited by Christian H; 05-01-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #4

Mr. Christian....I thank you very much. I honestly could not see this last screw!

I will follow your advice and look for the numbers a guide for the vane placement. The thing has come apart and it is a mess in there. I hope all the bits are still there.

Thanks again..