Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #21
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
No, I pretty much think your wrong on that. The cup on the bottom is to keep debri and water from getting sucked in. Now how effective it is, well thats another question. If you really look at it, its obvious the cup is there for a reason, to keep crap out.

If you guys want to keep going, I have also read the for any increase in air flow your ecm need time to adjust. Just like pedro says when you install his techno flow thing. All the dynos I have seen have been negligible gains and the only one that reset his ecm was the one who claimed 5 hp gain after 17dynos.

Now I feel like I am defending it, when that was not the purpose. Its like one of those highschool debates that you have to take a side you care nothing about. People have asked about de-snorking and I thought I would try it.

There isn't enough evidence wither way to support a conclusion. I don't race so the HP gain or loss of + or - 2 hp doesn't matter. I would be concerned about mpg loss, but it makes no sense, as common sense dictates that you will get more air flow. The only things I can think of that might go against that is if the snork some how lessened the amount of turbulence, like pedros claim of his thing, and if hot air was sucked in rather than cooler air. I would lean towards the latter.
If you look at the cup and where it sits when the grille is put back in, you'll notice that the two lower slats of the grille are closed off, which means the air leans straight into the curved portion of the cup as it goes in when the snork is in place. In other words, the cup at the end of the snork facilitates air to get sucked into the snork tube. So I think the cup was put there at the end to do just that...help suck in air. I don't think that the function of the snork is really to keep debris or water from entering, because 1) if you poke your hand back there in the hole that is left after you pull out the snork, you will find that the tube path goes up and to the left in the airbox, and not straight to the air filter, and 2) there is a water drain further back in the airbox by the air filter area, so water still would not enter the engine. I think it's in there to faciliate a smooth passage of air from the outside to the intake, while keeping noise levels down.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
If you look at the cup and where it sits when the grille is put back in, you'll notice that the two lower slats of the grille are closed off, which means the air leans straight into the curved portion of the cup as it goes in when the snork is in place. In other words, the cup at the end of the snork facilitates air to get sucked into the snork tube. So I think the cup was put there at the end to do just that...help suck in air. I don't think that the function of the snork is really to keep debris or water from entering, because 1) if you poke your hand back there in the hole that is left after you pull out the snork, you will find that the tube path goes up and to the left in the airbox, and not straight to the air filter, and 2) there is a water drain further back in the airbox by the air filter area, so water still would not enter the engine. I think it's in there to faciliate a smooth passage of air from the outside to the intake, while keeping noise levels down.
That makes sense, but what I have read 90% of people also agree that its for debri also. The cup keeps the snork from acting like a shopvac and cleaning up everything that is on the floor. Like if whater puddles before it drains. I stuck my hand up to it before I took it off and it felt like a vacuum hose. Maybe its me it just seems like common sense as the purpose of the cup on the snork.

actually who knows for sure, porsche probably did it to create debates and arguments.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #23

Quote:
No, I pretty much think your wrong on that. The cup on the bottom is to keep debri and water from getting sucked in. Now how effective it is, well thats another question. If you really look at it, its obvious the cup is there for a reason, to keep crap out.
Look at what you are dealing with: Because of where the opening is located on the side of the car (well below the belt line), and because most of the air flow is thru the upper slats in the grill, any debris or water that entered would drop down and be collected in what you describe as a “cup”, directly in front of the opening to the intake system………..hardly seems as a good description for something to prevent the debris from getting into the intake; and if fact looks more like something to help it get sucked in………

It is a noise abatement device, nothing more…………….

JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #24
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
This argument ain't worth 2hp! Take it out if you enjoy the extra sound, leave it in if you don't care for it.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
This argument ain't worth 2hp! Take it out if you enjoy the extra sound, leave it in if you don't care for it.

Yep, your absolutely right!!

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #26

Wink desnorkeled

well i guess after much debate and everything else.... it is what, what it is .. gain or no gain.. it's just more sound (noise) !
so to each his own... if you're happy with it (do it at your own risk) if not ... so be it!
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #27

Quote:
I have read 100's of post in numerous threads and it seems the mpg loss mostly comes from people changing their driving habits to here the new sound of their engines.
Hm- that makes ALOT of sense. Personally, I know I would get lower mpg from trying to hear the intake.
DANMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #28
onshore

De Snorkle

I've been reading this thread with some interest because I tried to de snorkle my '99 Boxster following the instructions you have posted here and couldn't get the snorkle to budge. I wiggled it and at one point had both feet on the car pulling on it but it wouldn't move an inch so I gave up. My mechanic wants me to put in a cold air intake system and he says it should come out if the intake system is to work correctly. All the reading I've done on the pros and cons are as varied as the experiences of the drivers. Some say an HP increase some say not, some say better sound some say your fuel system regulator will eventually compensate for the change and the sound goes back to normal. Although everything I've read about the snorkle goes along with the Swedes getting a knot in their shorts over the noise, and I'm no expert on air induction, it would seem to me that the tube shape of the snorkle would have an effect on air turbulance as the air is forced down the tunnel of it. It may even have the effect of increasing PSI on air entering the air filter box. It would be interesting to really see something definitive on this topic because although it has been widely discussed there doesn't seem to be any agreement on its benefits or drawbacks.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #29

Since a bunch of you have desnorked Boxsters that have the cup - has anyone ever found it full of debris? Seems like a question that bears asking...
Old 11-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #30
onshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
Since a bunch of you have desnorked Boxsters that have the cup - has anyone ever found it full of debris? Seems like a question that bears asking...
There was nothing but dust in the tray when I got mine out. The second time around I grabbed the tray and the snorkle came out so easy I was amazed. I had pulled on the snorkle itself the first time and it wouldn't dislodge. What I've noticed is the car sounds more mellow, there's an intake noise that is missing but the upside is my gas mileage appears to have increased by one mpg. Combination around town and freeway I'm up from 22 and change mpg to 23 and change mpg and on a freeway cruise to Sacramento my freeway miles where up to 26 mpg. also up one mpg. :dance:
Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #31
JTP

The Boxster's unique location for the intake may have an effect on HP losses or gains many have claimed. Unlike a front engined vehicle where the intake system can take advantage of the high pressure area naturally provided by forward motion, the Boxster's side mounted opening creates a low pressure at the intake opening as the vehicle moves forward. I suspect the snorkel places the intake opening at a point closer to the moving air than if the snorkel is removed. This would force more air into the intake system than with the snorkel removed. You can feel this effect easily by driving your car at 60 MPH and opening the window slightly. There is an immediate drop in pressure that you can feel in your ears. The area behind the grill feels the same drop in pressure. The higher pressure that exists at the opening of the intake dictates how much air is ingested into the engine. The odd shape of the intake area, with the snorkel removed, may cause areas of low pressure due to Bernoulli Effect of the moving fluid past the opening providing less air pressure at the intake opening. For this reason, it is possible the engine is getting less air with the snorkel removed.

I read the tuner's thread about the 17 runs he did, and on a stationary vehicle his claims may be correct but may not be correct on a moving vehicle due to the unique nature of the intake opening. A desnorkeled Boxster with a scoop on the side may give better results.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #32
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
I've had my snork out for a year, and no extra debris in the air filter with the snork out. There's always some dust and small leaf remnants in there regardless of whether the snork is in or out.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 AM   #33

2 things that come to mind,
1: How long does it take for the computer to recalibrate to the new flow? could this affect a "before and after" dyno if done right away? The reaon I ask this is I have read about some modifications that raise the MPG but after about a week of driving the computer remaps and the MPG then below the original MPG.
2: Is it possible that the space behind the grill and the leading ege of the snorkel is big enough to slow the velocity of the flow just enough to allow some debris (water?) with weight to fall into the tray rather than a constant high velocity flow going straight into the filter.
Hmmm, makes ya wonder,
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #34

De-Snorkling

I've read several places, it takes 100 miles for the computer to recalibrate.

I've also heard the reason for the snorkel and cup are to form the first noise baffle, needed to meet European noise regulations. You notice the snorkel is quite small - smaller than any other part of the intake. If you perform any other mods, leaving the snorkel in place will have an even greater negative effect.

Go ahead, remove it, and enjoy the bark of Porsche WOT!

gr8rcfan is offline   Reply With Quote