Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

A little bad luck turned out Good

Well,

I had been thinking of replacing my convertible top cause the back window seams where coming apart in certain areas but nothing crazy. I was going to hold off and do it next year since I had done enough mods for this yr. Well my luck is not so good... As it seemed like a warm enough day to put the top down and even at that I had the
heat in the car on before i put the top down so that my rear window would not crack if it was cold. Well after saying this .. sure as **************** it crack right down the middle.

To say I was pissed is kinda of an understatement . I , then put up the top and saw how bad the crack was.. it is bad.. With that I started my search on ebay for a new top with either the plastic or glass. I ended up seeing this one auction for a top that had the plastic rear window that was green tinted. I was not really into that but I decided to email him and see if he had other options. He was good enough to tell me that he could change the rear window to the follow colors: limo,smoke,or clear. He had the top listed for 279 and took off $14.00 which was for the green tinted window option. He then explained to me that if i wanted the limo,smoke, that would be an extra $25.00.

I decided on the smoke rear window and he sent me a invoice via paypal. Now the question was who could I find to install it as I want nothing to do with that task. I checked the local pages for places in my surrounding areas who did convertible tops. I must have called 20 places and got prices ranging from 550-1300. Those were prices with me supplying the top. Then forget about the prices for them to get a top and install.. went from 1300-2000. The 1300-1500 was just for the plastic rear window and the 1500-2000 price was for the glass window. I decided to call one more place nearby and see if they installed convertible tops. The guy was pretty cool and told me if i supplied the top he would charge me 300 and that it would be all day process. Anyone that needs the top guy or installer's info please contact me. Also I decided against the glass window cause I have a hard top already and I like the convertible top/plastic window look.

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #2

If you do a search on replacing rear windows on this forum I recall a NJ poster who had his window replaced and I assume where he had it done could easily install your new top as well.

I just had my window redone in Denver and the top fabric was removed to sew in the new window. The expert said he does them all the time and once you know how to do it...it is easy. Bob

Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote