Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #1

How to remove cam cover?

I am in need of removing the passenger side cam cover and re-sealing and wondered if anyone here had experience with that? Am a newbie, but can generally follow instructions... Below are some of my thoughts...

I have been told no special tools needed (Bentley's and indi mechanic), but I personally do not feel comfortable removing the cover without special tool 9634 (cam shaft hold down device). Factory manual says to use it... It appears to bolt on the block and has two bolts that go into the ends of the shafts once you remove the plastic plugs (like freeze plugs...). All this appears to be done before you remove the cover... Have also seen some "arched" type tool pieces that go over the shafts and apparently prevent them from moving while cover is off. These cannot be placed until cover is off. So maybe they just keep things tight while you work on other things???

I am thinking all that is needed is #9634 and that if I have that in place there is little risk of disturbing the shafts while I clean and re-seal the cover... Pelican parts has a tool (PEL-TOL-P253) made by SIR TOOLS but the design is different from what I have seen otherwise. Appears to be same application, but different design...? Tools I have seen range from $125 (baumtools.com) and $190 (pelican)

Any advice from anyone who has done this? Figure if I get the tool, it's not rocket science and reduces risk of me doing something stupid... Ok, you dont have to comment on the last part

I just dont want to mess up anything related to timing etc...

BNSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #2

I will be doing this to repair a faulty Variocam solenoid in a week or 2. You need 9634 or a home-made version to hold down the cams or they may break when you re-torque cam cover. I am making a 9634 to complete repair and can share measurements pictures if you would like when done. You may have to lower the engine to access the top bolts. I am replacing my front engine mount at the same time.

suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote