Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #1

Changed my own oil today!! Easy!

I was fed up with the logistics of getting my car in for an oil change and decided to do it myself. If you have a lift and some tools, this is very easy. I did run into a snag. I am guessing last time I had the oil changed, the shop cranked the drain plug in super tight. I had to tap it with a hammer and then just about stripped it getting it out. Even with the right allen socket, it was still touchy. I couldnt buy another today on Saturday, so I decided to deal with replacement next year when the time comes. I am fairly sure that it will come out as I torqued it properly this time.

Anyway, it pays to have a lift and oil drain bucket. There is a ton of oil in that sucker. You must have a filter wrench to get any traction on the filter cover. The car took just about 9 qts to register full. Price for the filter, Mob 1 and washer was about $98.00. I dont think I will be paying the $225.00 for this anymore!

Cheers!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #2

Good job. With the right equipment (BIG oil drain pan, hex socket, etc) it's a piece of cake. And while putting it up on jack stands makes it easier, they're not really necessary. In and out in about a half hour...quicker than the dealer or indep. Plus you can fill the tank several times with the savings and go for a nice ride

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #3

At our local work on cars days over the years many oil changes have been done. Once in a while I have to use an 18" breaker bar to unscrew the filter cannister or the drain plug. I have seen cracked plastic oil filter wrenches over the years so that is why I use a cast aluminum one.

The plug is aluminum and the 8 mm recess for the 8 mm allen bit gets rounded. I carry around an extra new plug just in case. When you remove yours next year you might try a T50 torx bit. It is actually a better fit than an allen and does not round the recess like an allen can.

When we run into an issue like this I ask the owner: "who changed the oil and filter last time." It is almost always a local dealership.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
. Price for the filter, Mob 1 and washer was about $98.00.

Cheers!
That sounds high by 20-25%. I'm guessing it's because of the filter? You can get filters from mahle (OEM) off ebay for about $9 each and they come with washers. Oil shouldn't be more than $6/quart or about $54.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #5

When I did my first oil change I didn't have a garage at the time. So I took the filter and oil to Jiffy Lube to have them do it. How bad could they screw it up with me supplying the material? Well, yup they totally stripped the drain plug and couldn't get it out. I really worked at it too and couldn't get it to budge. I finally had to drop the whole bottom of the pan, drill the plug, and work it out with an Easy Out. Now I ALWAYS do my own oil changes on the Boxster and torque that plug myself.

Good suggestion Jeff, I'll try the Torx bit next time.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #6

Can someone tell me what size filter wrench I need?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #7

The one I have says 74/76 (mm I'm sure) 14 flute. Bought at Autozone a few years ago for iirc around $5.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #8

Tool Pants is right about keeping a spare drain plug. I was amazed that they were only about $5 from Suncoast IIRC.

I did switch to the LN Engineering magnetic plug this year. I'll see what's in it next change in the spring.

Charles also did my oil analysis. All was well. I switched to his service because he and Jake Raby are doing soooo much good for our M96 cars.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #9

The magnetic oil drain plug from LN is far superior to the aluminum EOM plug. Larger wrench fitting and very secure; no fear of stripping this one. You also get the benefit of magnetically capturing any metal in the oil...I usually have a very small amount of material, similar to a paste, when I change my oil (twice this summer).

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote