Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #1

Angry Alternator testing/replacement.

Today my 2000 2.7 Boxster broke down. The battery warning light came on, shortly followed by ABS light and then the alarm, and no power. I strongly suspect a faulty alternator. I have charged the battery, started the car and only have just over 12v with engine running. Has anyone replaced an alternator, and can anyone offer any advice. It all looks a bit tight in there.
Thanks in advance.

lizziehallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #2

If no one can help you here then try renntech.org. Replacing the alternator has been covered several times. You should have almost 14 volts with the engine running if the alternator is charging.

Fully charge the battery and start the car. If the warning light is on with the engine running it is because your alternator is not charging. Make sure your power steering works, because otherwise it is a problem with the belt and not the alternator.

It is usually the regulator that goes out. The regulator is on the back of the alternator. Porsche does not sell just the regulator. But you can buy it from Bosch or other aftermarket part suppliers.

Getting to the front of the engine is not as bad as you may think. There is a service cover under the carpet behind the seats.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #3

alternator problem

The belts are fine, I've removed both the top and front covers the belt has not snapped and the tension is spot on. What I'm after is how to get to the top of the alternator. It looks as though I have to strip the intake side off, but how much more has to be removed?
Thanks again.
lizziehallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #4

I just did this and it's not that bad of a job.

1. Disconnect the battery

2. Take the belt off of the alternator pulley. No need to take the belt completely off.

3. Loosen the bolt with the idler pulley on it just a few turns. Then hit the end of the bolt with a soft blow hammer a few times. This pushes the bushing at the back of the alternator back a pinch and makes the job much easier.

4. Take the left hand bolt off (the one at roughly 7:00)

5. Now take the right hand bolt all the way out. You're going to have to wiggle it a bit to clear the firewall.

6. Rotate the alternator clockwise a bit and then rotate the pulley downward so you can get to the back of the alternator. Unplug the connector and take the nut off to take the battery cable and another wire off.

It should come right out after that.

I'd take it to Autozone (or whoever is the major auto parts store in your area) and have them check the alternator. This should pinpoint what is wrong with your alternator (if anything is wrong).

Installation is the reverse of removal. The whole job shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

My alternator checked out good, which will save me $$$$, as these things aren't cheap. My next thing is to have my near new Optima battery checked.

Good luck.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #5

Garage
Everybody interested in testing and removal of alternator.
I have found two things of imortance that needs to be mention:
1. During removal I have found that WD40 will help to remove alternator out of seating. It seats pretty tight in thereeven after removal of both bolts. Twisting alternator from bottom toward up will definetelly be only way to remove alternator and you will have to wiggle it inside in order to get him out completelly.

2. After removal and getting toward AutoZone or Kragen or Pep Boys you'll be suprised to know that there is no machine calibrated for 2002 Porsche Boxter alternator that could actually check alternator if operational condition. Apparently Porsche using Bosch alternator that for some reason does not provide information for testing machine. So you will have two options:
Reinstall alternator in order to check if alternator is operational OR
Drop alternator for an auto alternaor rebuild places and asked them to test unit before rebuild if needed. That's exactly what I did, and alternator was in reality was OK, after being tested in Kragen and pronanunced BAD.
Reinstalled alternator, make sure that you tight bolts on back of alternator with electrical red and black wire (that can crete problems if loose) and put connector tight.

The best of luck

twinaviation is offline   Reply With Quote