Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
DIY-Replacing Door Carpet with Leather

Hey guys,

I finally got around to doing my passenger side door panel and promised a few that I'd do a DIY when I did it. I skipped documenting the door panel removal. Refer to this post to get that info...

To remove the door panel

Here's the DIY once you get the door panel off...

TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #2

Old 03-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #3

Cheers!
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #4

One correction. I bought 39sq ft of the leather that was enough for both door panels , the firewall or heat sheild behind the seats and the two panels that cover the seatbelt mechanisms. In the DIY I think I said I bought 6 sq ft.

Here's a link to the seller on Ebay I got it from...

Kyson Leather
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
Old 03-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #5

Thats a great looking mod, I always wondered why Porsche put carpet there.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Damn nice work! Looks amazing.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #7

Best documentation of a DIY project on this forum. Great job!!
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
Thats a great looking mod, I always wondered why Porsche put carpet there.
Gary, I'm betting it was put there to make the interior feel less spartan and absorb some sound.

Tim, I bought a sheet of leather from Kyson Leather on Ebay as well this last week and will get it in this week I think. I have nasty vinyl door panels and a cigarette burn on the passenger side, so I'm planning on keeping the carpet below and doing the upper vinyl over in leather.

Do you think I can keep the vinyl on it and just spray it and put the leather over it?

PS - for other readers, I paid $144 (incl. shipping) for 39 square feet of very thin, light pebble finished black leather from Kyson on Ebay... great folks to work with. They sent me three samples to choose from. BTW, the "125" hides they have are what I bought because it was only 1 mm thick and had a grain pattern that matches the rest of my car.

I will be doing the doors, the oddments tray cover, and then I will tackle the dash... mine is old looking and it will give me a big project to do for very little money.

My interior will be swathed in black leather before I'm done
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Damn, Nice Write-up. Thats a new standard in DIY write-ups!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Gary, I'm betting it was put there to make the interior feel less spartan and absorb some sound.

Tim, I bought a sheet of leather from Kyson Leather on Ebay as well this last week and will get it in this week I think. I have nasty vinyl door panels and a cigarette burn on the passenger side, so I'm planning on keeping the carpet below and doing the upper vinyl over in leather.

Do you think I can keep the vinyl on it and just spray it and put the leather over it?

PS - for other readers, I paid $144 (incl. shipping) for 39 square feet of very thin, light pebble finished black leather from Kyson on Ebay... great folks to work with. They sent me three samples to choose from. BTW, the "125" hides they have are what I bought because it was only 1 mm thick and had a grain pattern that matches the rest of my car.

I will be doing the doors, the oddments tray cover, and then I will tackle the dash... mine is old looking and it will give me a big project to do for very little money.

My interior will be swathed in black leather before I'm done

I thought about doing the vinyl sections too but was afraid to adhere leather to the vinyl and too afraid to pull the vinyl off. I'm no expert on this stuff by any means so I couldn't tell you what might happen. The only thing I'd be worried about is all the years of armor all or similar product that might have been used on the door. I'd just clean it very well first and get rid of any product residue, maybe even give it a light sand before spraying adhesive on it. Let me know how it goes if you do it. If you go ahead with it do a write up!!!

As far as the oddments tray I just ordered this which I thought was cool. I'll do another write up when I install it. Looks grey but it's black and should match the standard boxster leather.

Doesn't look like he has anymore at the moment...but here's the link to his ebay store

http://stores.ebay.com/The-928-Leather-Shop
Old 03-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #11

VERY nice and quality writeup!

for the record, i got some of this material at Joann Fabric locally.. might check if you have a huge fabric store before you order online...

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Hi, Nice Write-up

Thanks
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #13

Timothy, you've inspired me to action.

Found the 3M adhesive spray at Home Depot this afternoon and did three interior pieces... the plastic and vinyl bits to the left and right of the cubby holes below the radio, and the oddments tray lid.

It was easy!

I already feel like the interior of my old boxster got an upgrade. Next, I'll tackle a door.

BTW, I didn't take pix, but I will say that I removed the vinyl so I wouldn't have "fat" pieces that didn't fit well. As one removes the vinyl, it's important to leave as much of the foam on the plastic piece so the leather has some padding on it. My vinyl was so old that it came off the foam nicely.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-15-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Timothy, you've inspired me to action.

Found the 3M adhesive spray at Home Depot this afternoon and did three interior pieces... the plastic and vinyl bits to the left and right of the cubby holes below the radio, and the oddments tray lid.

It was easy!

I already feel like the interior of my old boxster got an upgrade. Next, I'll tackle a door.

BTW, I didn't take pix, but I will say that I removed the vinyl so I wouldn't have "fat" pieces that didn't fit well. As one removes the vinyl, it's important to leave as much of the foam on the plastic piece so the leather has some padding on it. My vinyl was so old that it came off the foam nicely.

Good deal! Yeah, I just did those pieces on the sides of the upper center console myself. I also did the triangular carpeted pieces that fit just under and behind those as well as the two vinyl oval shapes on the lower center console on each side of the shift knob. My goal is the get the carpet back to the floorboard and leather from the floor up. It'll take some time. I'm considering getting a sewing machine so I can do some strategic stitched seams.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #15

Very nice DIY. The project looks excellent once completed. I was worried at first that the top and bottom don't match. You have inspired me and I will tackle this tomorow. Hopefully I can find a leather supplier locally first.

Thanks for the detailed write up. I have been looking for good instructions for awhile now as I have been afraid to rip up my door panels.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #16

Well, last night I ruined my passenger side door panel. I cut the leather to size and it really looked like it would go down smoothly without wrinkles or bunching, but the sculpted parts of the door where it jutts out for the handle made it impossible.

I now have a door panel with dried, nasty glue all over it. I will attempt to remove the glue with goo-gone or something else, but I think I've messed up the vinyl to the point with all the solvents that I'll have to replace the panel.

So much for this DIY. The bottom part that you did, Tim, is a straight shot though and that would have been no problem. I tried to do the top part, leaving the carpet below.

Grrr.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #17

That's bad news. I take it you're not going to tackle the dash now? I have been too afraid to do the dash msyelf.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
AVIC D3
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels

To do/complete:
Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 AM   #18

You know, the dash doesn't scare me. It's far flatter and doesn't have the contours the upper part of the door panel has.

I plan to unbolt it in a few months (during the fall when it's not so hot to work in my garage for hours on end) and have a good look at it from a "that'll bunch the leather" view, which I have now.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #19

I am a procarsitnator and finally tackled this project today. I am half done and I must say the removal of the carpet fibers is a major PITA. Instead of a spoon though I did used one of those razor scrapers for paints/tiles and it made it much easier.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
AVIC D3
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels

To do/complete:
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #20

Garage
I've had this one on my list for a while, and got inspired when I saw seningen's boxster for sale. He had a red interior with black leather to replace the door carpet. Just finished the driver's side tonight. I'm loving the red/black contrast!

Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote