Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #1

Replacing plastic back window '01 Boxster's Top

The plastic window on my convert. top has a small crack. I seem to have it controlled by clear packing tape. The canvas is in great shape. However I want to deal with replacing the window soon. I've seen replacement plastic window kits for sale on ebay, supposedly to be sewn in by us do-it-yourself'ers. I can't imagine that it's easy to do, especially while the top is still on the car. Has anyone sewn one in? If so how did the project go?

Also I've seen tops with glass windows listed as replacements even for the '01 which originally came with plastic. Is there an issue with the top with a glass window folding up?

Lastly, (for this thread), what should I pay for a company to insert a new replacement plastic window? And if it can be done, what should it cost to have a glass window installed? Thanks all.

RZimm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #2

Personally, I wouldn't mess with trying to fix this yourself. Most shops will charge $400-$500 to sew in a new rear glass. Keep in mind, the factory plastic is stitched AND glued in place- the repair will only be stitched, and will likely never be as taught. There is no way to install a glass window into your plastic top.

I would go to GAHH.com. You can either purchase a new top with glass or plastic. Figure a couple hundred for installation.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #3

That crack will only get progressively worse. Patrick is correct, I know from experience. I recently hand stitched in a new piece of plastic and never plan to try that again!
I wanted a new gahh glass window top but experienced successive multiple what I call 'out of budget experiences' that put getting a new top way down on the priority list. So I opted to invest a little sweat equity and discovered it was a task that takes a lot of time, way more than I had anticipated. Took me a week of evenings to get it stitched in and the result is marginal at best, however I now have a rear window and that was really the point of that little adventure ($80 + 24 hours labor vs. $1800 for a new top).

My advise, if you can justify the cost, is a new top with glass window, which means no more need for the boxster 'chop'.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
That crack will only get progressively worse. Patrick is correct, I know from experience. I recently hand stitched in a new piece of plastic and never plan to try that again!
I wanted a new gahh glass window top but experienced successive multiple what I call 'out of budget experiences' that put getting a new top way down on the priority list. So I opted to invest a little sweat equity and discovered it was a task that takes a lot of time, way more than I had anticipated. Took me a week of evenings to get it stitched in and the result is marginal at best, however I now have a rear window and that was really the point of that little adventure ($80 + 24 hours labor vs. $1800 for a new top).

My advise, if you can justify the cost, is a new top with glass window, which means no more need for the boxster 'chop'.

mind posting some pics of your work?
did you remove the top from the car, or did you do it while it was still attached to the car?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #5

I'm not sure I want to post pics of this one, not my best work . If your on Renntech I sort-of took over another thread about a top, there are a couple pics there as well as some discussion of the process.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17836&st=20&p=94287&#entry94287

I removed the entire top and worked on it in my living-room floor. Actually getting the top off was amazingly easy, just eight bolts total and the whole thing lifts off.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 02-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #6

I just dropped $400.00 bones for a new tinted plastic iwindow installed.
Top was removed, new marine grade plastic installed. My guy did a great job.
I will drop the cash for a new top with glass in 2-3 years.
marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #7

Replacing the plastic window

Hey all,
Thanks for great input. I think I'm convinced not to take on the install myself. Little self confidence in artsy detail work. Kabel sounded like he was glad to have the project done and that he wasn't sure the final product was as good as hoped for.

I'm still unsure if one can pay to have a glass window installed into the existing canvas top of what was a plastic window top? In other words, if I want a glass window do I have to get a whole new top with glass, or will a shop install glass where plastic had been? Also what should I expect to pay? (I understand there may be regional differences etc.) Will there be issues with the defrosting element? I've read kabel's thread, and jiinc's iput. Very informative, great stuff and I saw the photos. If you guys have explained what I'm asking sorry I've missed the point. Thanks for some help.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #8

I have not heard of anyone modifying a plastic window top to accommodate a glass window. Sounds like more effort than would be worth it in the end, and I doubt any reputable top shop would want to undertake that.

I have seen people quote anywhere from $250 to $600 to have a new plastic window put into their top. What most shops want to do is remove the canvas from the frame to install a new window, that is why it gets so expensive (labor). Knowing what I know now, I would consider finding a shop that would agree to replace the window while the top is still on the frame. Like I mentioned, removing the top from the car was actually very easy.

If you are part of your local PCA, ask around to find top shop that has experience with Porsches.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #9

If you upgrade to a glass windowed top, and you have an older car (like me) it is my understanding that you will have to upgrade the lifting mech. For now I am pimpin' the clear tape mod. Mine split in the fall, and I fugured I would replace it after the winter. No sence in putting a new top on so old man winter can have his way with it. Mine is a daily driver.
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #10

There are 2 types of glass window top swaps.

1. uses the entire frame and top from a 2003-2004 wreck.
2. The other re-uses the existing frame from a 1997-2002 Boxster and uses a special glass windowed top made especially for the older Boxster frame. No mods to the lifting mechanism necessary.

Ask the local P-car dealer where he sends cars for window replacement. Or ask at boat dealers or upholstery shops that do boats. Make sure they have done a Boxster before and talk with the tech to see how he is going to do it.

Once you have the window in, maintain it with a plastic polish that restores the oils in the plastic that keep it supple. (I use Novus 1, 2 and 3)
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #11

plastic window replacement

Thanks to Kabel. I think I'll probably go with the professional install this spring. I already got my local porsche shop to recommend a shop and they quoted $500. to install a new plastic window. You guys have been very helpful. I guess I'll use one of those idiot icons. :dance:
Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 AM   #12

We charge $525.OO in New Jersey to remove soft not frame and sew in AS6 laminated green tinted plastic window. Labor to install new top $410.00
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
Goth Popper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
I'm not sure I want to post pics of this one, not my best work . If your on Renntech I sort-of took over another thread about a top, there are a couple pics there as well as some discussion of the process.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17836&st=20&p=94287&#entry94287

I removed the entire top and worked on it in my living-room floor. Actually getting the top off was amazingly easy, just eight bolts total and the whole thing lifts off.
Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Stop the press. I have a parts car (some of you have been unfortunate to see) but the top is just fine. You're telling me I could just swap these out with a few bolts? Which ones?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #14

Garage
Yes, you can swap the whole frame and top from another car (plastic window or 2003-2004 glass window) in about an hour. I replaced my plastic window top on my 2002 with a 2004 OEM top using the instructions I will try to attach below. The same procedure would be used to swap another plastic window top/frame unit. It was surprisingly easy. Good luck.

I couldn't attach the pdf so here is a link to Mike Focke's page on the subject. Open the pdf files on the bottom of the page for instructions and pictures.

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797

Last edited by MN 986; 07-07-2011 at 05:06 AM.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #15

I replaced my rear window on my Boxster for $300 total with labor in NE Philly. It took 4 hours. They gave me a nice dot approved rear window.

They took the top off the car, cut out the old plastic. Sewn in the new plastic. Then put the top back on.

You can't replace the rear window with glass or hard plastic because of the way the top folds. The glass or hard plastic would have to be fold-able.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #16

Boxster

I have the same problem. Anyone know any company here in Los Angeles California?
haniepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
adc

Is there a recommended shop in the DC/MD/VA area? For the $300 mentioned here, I'd go as far as Philly in a heartbeat...
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #18

Now I am looking for one in NorCal that will do it for $300...any more than that and I will buy a brand new plastic window top for ~$500. Anyone know an installer?
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #19

eBay now has glass top for the 97-02, entire top for $500. Does anyone have any experience with these?

This guy has sold 78 of these so far.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #20

Mike Focke suggestion was great...ask the local dealer where they send their tops for repair. I did in the SF Bay area and was referred to a shop in Mountain View. Out the door 5 or 6 years ago for $500. Don't remember the shops name but Carlsen Porsche provided the referral

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote