Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yes you want to use primer.
scroll up man, there's a step by step i explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
The bumper plug people want $275 plus your shipping costs. That's nuts. I'd like to go with the paintscratch.com system.

Any feedback from you guys about the quality of the job with a spray can from them??? With shipping I should come out at less than $50. And I can redo it if I ever get tapped/scraped.

And did you use their primer as well?

Thanks, Bob
wanna use primer, scroll up and read how we all did it.

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #42

I went to the paintscratch website and learned that you not only need the RUBBERIZED primer, but stuff they call SEM Adhesion Promoter. In all that's 4 spray cans totaling around $78 shipped. Hopefully, by following all the steps, it can withstand some gentle abuse!!!
Their website also has very complete directions on the use of these 4 products.

I will hold off for a while. Getting ready to mothball the car for winter. By the way, since mine is Lapis Blue, the improvement will not be as great as with you guys that have light/medium color cars.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
I went to the paintscratch website and learned that you not only need the RUBBERIZED primer, but stuff they call SEM Adhesion Promoter. In all that's 4 spray cans totaling around $78 shipped. Hopefully, by following all the steps, it can withstand some gentle abuse!!!
Their website also has very complete directions on the use of these 4 products.

I will hold off for a while. Getting ready to mothball the car for winter. By the way, since mine is Lapis Blue, the improvement will not be as great as with you guys that have light/medium color cars.
Go for it, just get a can of primer, and some paint for plastic to match the color of your car, and clear coat. I sanded mine done to smooth, then about 6 coats of primer, and multiple coats of paint, I did about 4. Then multiple coats of the clear. took my time, 2 days, and the color is black. So, for about 25 bucks and the sastifaction of doing it yourself, "priceless".

jrblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote