Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2019, 02:46 AM   #1

1998 Porsche Boxster

Sold!
I have decided its time to sell my 1998 Boxster. This car has 123,000 miles and is a nice, driver quality car located in Chattanooga Tennessee. I built this car with the goal of making an inexpensive and reliable track day Porsche. It has been lightly modified from stock but every upgrade was planned very carefully to maximize the effect on track. Sadly, the car only ever ran a handful of track days before life got in the way with job changes and cross country moves and now it just sits in the garage waiting for someone to take it on a drive.

I bought the car as a salvage title from very light accident damage to the front end (see pictures of the damage below). The damage was so light that I literally just bent the hood back into shape, got it to latch closed, and drove it 400 miles back home. The car was well maintained before I bought it (according to the carfax) and, within the last 15,000 miles, has had the water pump and clutch replaced. The car now has a rebuilt title and is clear to be registered and driven on the road.

Since my ownership, I have done the following;

Replaced the hood - Painted matte black but not perfect.
Replaced the front bumper because original one had scuffs and cracks from the crash
Changed all of the fluids
Replaced all 4 shocks with Bilstein B6 Performance shocks
Replaced stock springs with H&R lowering springs
Changed to Centric Sport brake pads (awesome pads for the money)
Put on 4 new Hankook Ventus R-S4 Tires
Upgraded to Porsche M030 front and rear sway bars
Added 9Products Spherical Strut Mounts/Camber Plates (good for over 3 degrees of negative camber up front)
Mounted a lightweight Odyssey PC680 Battery

The upgrades were done progressively as I noticed a need on the track. The idea was to be able to quantify the effect of each upgrade in real life and not just throw money at the most expensive upgrades available. Obviously, everyone drives at their own comfort level on the track but I was very impressed with this little car and with the kinds of cars it was able to keep up with on track. Its not an extreme track car by any means. This car is more supple on the road than my stock 987 Cayman S but it is still quite good on the track. I put less than 2,000 miles on the car in the year and a half that I have owned it and its just not getting used at all since I have moved.

Things that aren't perfect with the car;

The body has little bumps and scratches. Nothing terrible but its not a show car
The passenger side headlight wiring harness connector was damaged in the crash and won't stay plugged in. The headlight works but the connector will need to be replaced.
This car has the common 986 rattle on cold starts. Sound goes away within a second or so of starting
The driver side seat has a tear/crack in the backrest
The center console arm rest lid is broken
Although the top is in great shape, the plastic rear window is fogged up and hard to see out of

Price: $4,996 OBO

See Pelican ad for addition pictures (this photo uploader is not working for me)
1998 Porsche Boxster - Pelican Parts Forums

Last edited by PorRacer; 12-18-2019 at 08:47 PM.
PorRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #2

Sweet, glws.
Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #3

nice car pm sent
jonasjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #4

Boxster is sold!

Last edited by PorRacer; 12-18-2019 at 08:46 PM.
PorRacer is offline   Reply With Quote