Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
DIY extremist

2000 Boxster S well loved and maintained / upgraded mechanically

Have been wanting something with the driving dynamics of a Boxster but with more grunt. Toyed with an engine swap, but now have my eye on a CPO 987S, but need to clear my parking spot first.

Car is a 2000 Boxster S. Runs amazingly, very fast (for a 986) and tight. Triple black color scheme with full leather interior, litronics, premium sound, heated seats. 110k on body, engine and transmission much less (details below).

I bought the car in 2011 at 90k with receipts for prior work. It's a higher mileage car, but much of the mechanicals have been replaced or updated. Every time there's been a problem with the car, I've fixed it.

The original engine suffered an IMS failure at 89k, replaced with 25k engine from 2001 car, which means this one has 46k now (with IMS upgraded). 6 speed transmission was pulled and rebuilt with all new parts at the same time (so 21k on transmission). CV Axles, oil filler tube, coolant reservoir, AOS also replaced at that time by previous owner (89k). The cabriolet top has been replaced, and has a heated glass window.

Tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sports with 3k miles, upsized 235/275 on OEM Chromed 18" Turbo Twists (not gaudy looking at all, I love them although I usually don't go for chrome). Have always run Royal Purple full synthetic

Recent Service (done by me):

I have replaced the cabrio microwitch, water pump, accessory belt, and coolant (92k), right rear wheel bearing, air filter, cleaned MAF and throttle body, spark plugs and all six ignition coil packs (one had developed a misfire) at 103k. Clutch, flywheel, IMS bearing, front stabilizer links, front brakes rotors, pads, clutch and brake fluid replaced with ATE Super Blue (108k). Cabrio pushrods replaced and adjusted.

Car has new seats with no wear. Have replaced worn floor mats and 90% of interior plastics that showed wear. Front and rear bumper covers, right quarter panel have been repainted with high quality water based OEM type process due to scratches / door dings. There is a small ding that I haven't repaired on bonnet. Rear brakes need pads soon.

Upgrades:

Bluetooth / line input to stock CDR 220, Secondary Cat bypasses, desnorkel, equal length headers, B&M short shifter. The exhaust setup is quiet with mild driving, but sounds similar to an air cooled car under hard acceleration. Amber lenses switched for clear. I have all original exhaust and shifter parts, along with complete set of exhaust gaskets and will return to stock if desired by buyer.

$15k -- This is a very good car and if you know the 986, you'll see I've taken care of most of the potential issues that secondhand buyers have to deal with.

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
DIY extremist

Forgot to mention, the car has an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system. Very useful to catch a small leak on low profile tires or by looking at temps to catch issues with alignment and to know when tires are warmed up! Will post pics of the car tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
pk2

Pics please?

D-
Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
DIY extremist

I won't have a chance to take close-up photos of the car until after Thursday (very busy week, and the car is garaged on the other side of the river from me!), but these are some photos from a long road trip I took the first summer I had the car.

Car is located in NYC, but I am planning to drive out to Denver in either this car or my new one (2008 Box S) in June when my business slows down, so I'm willing to work out arrangements if you don't want to pick up in the Northeast (I'm always looking for an excuse to drive!).

Old 05-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
DIY extremist

Also, since I've been asked -- Car has both keys and original manuals with radio code.