Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Shocks VS Coil overs

I'm wanting to update my suspension soon and been kicking around what to use. My initial plan was to use Bilstein B8 and H&R springs (or similar), but I see some alternatives that are about the same price. These are coil overs from Feal or KSPort and others. These are all ready to install and don't share parts from OEM. The Bilstein PSS9 are out of my comfort level on price as are the Ohlins and you would still need to complete them with the other bits.
These coil overs also will be similar i ride height drop as the B8 and I don't want to go any lower.
Any users of these products on here? Can you comment on them?
This is my DD and will see some track days 4-5 times a year.
I'm on stock size Micheline PS4S and its a 2002 S.

Thanks!

Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:07 AM   #2

I have feal 441+ and they are great. Good ride on the street, perform well on the track, very easy to change ride height, and come with new top mounts. For the money, hard to go wrong. I also like that they are made in the US, rebuildable for cheap, and have actual customer service.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #3

Going with the 441+ gets the Swift springs, did you change the default spring rate and valving? If so, what did you go with?
How much camber change do the top plates give you? Or did you just go with GT3 type LCA's?

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-20-2022, 08:46 AM   #4

i've got ksport and am happy. track/street all good. like the feals they come with camber plates so you get a lot more adjustability than the other offerings however are harder to get re-valved than the feals should your needs change down the road.

a lot of folks will chime up that the pss9's are the only way to go and all they use, but check and for the most part they are spec racers that are only allowed to use pss9's!
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Going with the 441+ gets the Swift springs, did you change the default spring rate and valving? If so, what did you go with?
How much camber change do the top plates give you? Or did you just go with GT3 type LCA's?

Thanks for the info!
I went with spec boxster spring rates of 450fr/500 rear with valving to match. Not sure what comes with them at this point, but my car was not harsh on the street.

With the top plates i'd think you could get to over -2 negative camber. I have fully adjustable control arms, so i used them to get my extra camber. For a mostly street car, I'd probably stick to 2 degrees anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
a lot of folks will chime up that the pss9's are the only way to go and all they use, but check and for the most part they are spec racers that are only allowed to use pss9's!
now that there is an MCS option in spb, no one wants pss9s for a track car either at this point. The monetary difference between feal and PSS9 could go to better things I think.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the help. Looks like the Feals maybe the way to go considering what they include for the price. If I had a much bigger budget, I'd do something else like Ohlins or just get a GT4RS!
Old 04-21-2022, 05:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. Looks like the Feals maybe the way to go considering what they include for the price. If I had a much bigger budget, I'd do something else like Ohlins or just get a GT4RS!
If your working on a budget, look at godspeed coilovers. Fully adjustable height and stiffness, pillowball mounts for dialing in camber. I put mine in 2 years ago and I love them.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk