Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #1

RoW flashes in the Bay Area?

My next round of projects on the car (next Month most likely) will be removing the HVAC (compressors, condensors, heater box, blowers, vents, lines, etc...), EVAP system, and SAI. Then onto simplifying wiring after those components are all gone.

I already know that's all going to throw CELs (EVAP may be unavoidable, but SAI and later removing cats via bypass should be avoidable with RoW I think). Are there any shops here in NorCal that can do the RoW flash?

Regarding the SAI delete: Is it as simple as just pulling everything out and then using the block off plates? Anything else that needs to be done?

For the EVAP it's a bit less clear. Looking at diagrams, it looks like there is basically a line coming out of the fuel tank into the charcoal canister and then out of that and towards the back of the car for venting. I think there is a 3rd line, not sure where it goes to, maybe the filler neck? I was thinking of literally "bypassing" the canister by connecting/extending the venting line from the fuel tank directly out the back (or route it somewhere else) and then removing the canister. Will that work? Anything I should be cautious of here in terms of fuel leakage? What about that other line? What do I do with it? Block it?

Thanks!

rezanourai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezanourai View Post
My next round of projects on the car (next Month most likely) will be removing the HVAC (compressors, condensors, heater box, blowers, vents, lines, etc...), EVAP system, and SAI. Then onto simplifying wiring after those components are all gone.

I already know that's all going to throw CELs (EVAP may be unavoidable, but SAI and later removing cats via bypass should be avoidable with RoW I think). Are there any shops here in NorCal that can do the RoW flash?

Regarding the SAI delete: Is it as simple as just pulling everything out and then using the block off plates? Anything else that needs to be done?

For the EVAP it's a bit less clear. Looking at diagrams, it looks like there is basically a line coming out of the fuel tank into the charcoal canister and then out of that and towards the back of the car for venting. I think there is a 3rd line, not sure where it goes to, maybe the filler neck? I was thinking of literally "bypassing" the canister by connecting/extending the venting line from the fuel tank directly out the back (or route it somewhere else) and then removing the canister. Will that work? Anything I should be cautious of here in terms of fuel leakage? What about that other line? What do I do with it? Block it?

Thanks!
If you are going to put this car on the street, you need to know that the RoW flash will not pass the latest version of smog testing.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you are going to put this car on the street, you need to know that the RoW flash will not pass the latest version of smog testing.
Thanks, understood. This car is no longer street legal & is being trailered to/from the track only, so smog test isn't an issue
rezanourai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #4

This isn't going to be of much help because I don't recall the name. There was a shop I found in the Sunnyvale to San Jose area just off of 101. You might also try the Renn Shop in Mountain View.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote