Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2023, 10:52 AM   #1

optimal front & rear ride height

Can anyone share an optimal front & rear ride height and or rake? I'm installing new dampers, springs and drop links on a fully track prepped boxster

2013cossj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:48 PM   #2

how hard are your springs? static geometry is one thing, dynamic is different. at full compression you will want your control arm to be horizontal. if you lower your car so much that the control arm moves past horizontal on compression then you will get less negative camber when you need it the most.

you'll also want adjustable rear toe arms if you want to lower any significant amount, and consider front adjustable tie rod ends to avoid the bump steer that shows up when you get lower.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:48 AM   #3

1.5 degrees rake is pretty typical for a Porsche track car with just enough fuel for the session.
I’m at 131mm front and rear at the factory measuring points with a mostly stock S suspension. With higher spring rates you could probably go lower by 20-50mm. Adjust for understeer/oversteer preference (that’s where it would be nice to have a real race shop to help you).
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 01:27 PM   #4

if your dampers are height-adjustable then no such thing as rake as you would corner balance instead which would set the height of the four corners relative to each other.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
if your dampers are height-adjustable then no such thing as rake as you would corner balance instead which would set the height of the four corners relative to each other.
Rake is an important thing to get right, are you confusing it with cross weight?
Checked my car, @131mm f/r, my front LCA is at 0 degrees and the rear is 5 degrees in the desired direction. (Rear mounting points are higher). I don’t have issues with tire shoulders wear or push.
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:16 PM   #6

i guess my point was that a corner balance is more important and a 1 degree rake is a f/r difference of around 5mm which might be difficult to maintain when corner balancing.

here's a link to various m030 ride heights ...

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/66183-ride-height.html
Old 02-19-2023, 12:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986tate View Post
1.5 degrees rake is pretty typical for a Porsche track car with just enough fuel for the session.

I’m at 131mm front and rear at the factory measuring points with a mostly stock S suspension. With higher spring rates you could probably go lower by 20-50mm. Adjust for understeer/oversteer preference (that’s where it would be nice to have a real race shop to help you).
Tate, when you say 1.5 for a p car, are you talking about 986s specifically? I could see 911s benefiting from the rake given their weight distribution being rear heavy. My experience with prepping 986s is also based on corner balancing, which is the process of adjusting the ride height on all 4 corners until you get near perfect weight distribution. It takes out all the guessing and is a well proven strategy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2023, 10:38 AM   #8

I just re-setup my Spec Boxster. I am at 93mm front and 94mm rear with a nearly empty fuel tank after corner balancing. With some fuel onboard I figure I will get a bit more rake. Spec Boxster MCS coilovers.

P Cars: 1997 Spec Boxster - SPB #94 / 2022 Macan GTS / 2018 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo ---- Other cars: 2021 F-250 Diesel / 2019 Golf R
Gone: 2020 GT4, 2004 GT3, 2003 Carrera, 1982 911SC, 2005 Lotus Elise and lots of other non-Porsches.
PCA National DE Instructor #202106053
nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote