Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 07:17 AM   #1

Anybody running sparco Ergo seats

going towards a more track oriented setup over winter, including going from GT3 buckets to a more dedicated racing seats.

I would like to use the sparco ergo in the medium size due to the removable halos.

Will use planted bases and sparco side mounts. NO sliders.

Anybody got one of these beats in their boxster?

Any fitment issues?

thanks

Last edited by Quadcammer; 08-08-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
going towards a more track oriented setup over winter, including going from GT3 buckets to a more dedicated racing seats.

I would like to use the sparco ergo in the medium size due to the removable halos.

Will use planted bases and sparco side mounts. NO sliders.

Anybody got one of these beats in their boxster?

Any fitment issues?

thanks
I don’t have one in my boxster, but I do in my 944 that I’m building into a 944-spec car. The standard size fit with no problem (passenger side). The next size up was on back-order when my cage was put in. I had to return the Sparco base, and both the Sparco angled and 90 degree brackets. The cage builder had to put in a custom “slim” bracket and re-work the cage a bit to get the seat to fit. He mentioned that the latest version of this seat is a real problem with boxsters, 911s, 944s, Miatas, anything except full-size cars basically. These seats in anything but the smallest size are just too tall. YMMV.
Merlotsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I tired to install the Ergo large size in my Boxster and it was too tall.

The Medium (or regular) size Ergo seat will be close - it might or might not fit. My calculations said that it would not fit but that included the factory slider. Removing the slider will help a lot but I can't say yes or no with any certainty.

Do some careful measuring.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #4

Tom, thanks.

the medium is 2.4" lower than the larger model. I would be floor mounting, so that should help. The store at NJMP seems to have these, so I'll try them on for size and fit.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Tom, thanks.

the medium is 2.4" lower than the larger model. I would be floor mounting, so that should help. The store at NJMP seems to have these, so I'll try them on for size and fit.
One additional note: Think about eye height in the car. Moving the seat bottom too low can lower your eye level to where you're not positioned properly to see out clearly.

Let us know how it works out.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #6

all good points. Pain that this seat is so large because its really the only good street-driveable halo seat out there.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
I have the Sparco sliders in my car (I know you're not looking at those) however, I am very happy with the fit and comfort and solid feel of being planted in the seat.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
I have the Sparco sliders in my car (I know you're not looking at those) however, I am very happy with the fit and comfort and solid feel of being planted in the seat.
so you are running the ergo seats with the sparco sliders?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #9

Have you thought about bolting the side mounts directly to the floor of the car? It takes some fab work, but that's the best way to get as low as possible and to give yourself the most head clearance.

I think I saw your name on the list for the DE at the Club Race this weekend - come sit in my car and see how you like it. Silver #714
Spec Boxster #714
PGas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGas32 View Post
Have you thought about bolting the side mounts directly to the floor of the car? It takes some fab work, but that's the best way to get as low as possible and to give yourself the most head clearance.

I think I saw your name on the list for the DE at the Club Race this weekend - come sit in my car and see how you like it. Silver #714
Yup I will be at Tbolt. How do you handle the anti-sub mount?

Which seats are you running?

Thanks for the offer, I'll come see you!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #11

To me it looks like the planted bases sit higher off the floor than they need to (look at the rear mounting point, it is not flush with the base, it is raised up looks like around 1+ cm). I've got both of my Recaro Profi XL seats directly floor mounted using the Brey Krause 9044 floor mount with integrated sub bar:

R-9044 Seat Floor Mount Adapter with Integrated Sub Strap Mount - R-907X Series Seat Mounting Brackets, 996/997/986/987 Porsches)

I got both of mine used at different times for around half price or so.

Then they probably have a side mount for Sparco as well (I am running the R-9075/6) for mine, even though that side mount works with the OEM sliders, it also works for the floor mount. I like it because it has an integrated seat belt mounting point.

One of these days I am going to see if I can get the Recaro XL Halo seat in there...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Yup I will be at Tbolt. How do you handle the anti-sub mount?

Which seats are you running?

Thanks for the offer, I'll come see you!
My car basically has a custom version of the BreyKrause piece that Steve posted above...it's a couple of steel strips welded in with a cross-member to mount the anti-sub belt to. I forget why I didn't/couldn't use the BK kit, but it may have been that BK doesn't make side mounts that are both compatible with my MOMO seat and their floor mount...hence my custom setup.
Spec Boxster #714
PGas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #13

I have the regular size Sparco Ergo in mine. It’s a tight fit especially with the seat rails I have. Tight enough that I can’t get the seat in my preferred more upright position. It will probably be better if I did without the rails but just haven’t gotten around to it. And since I drive my car to the track, I thought the removable halos would be nice but I’ve left them on ever since because it never interfered with driving to and from the tracks.
Andy804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:03 AM   #14

Well the seat is in but certainly an ass pain to do. The planted brackets are not very user friendly and the adjustment was a ******************** but its in and in a good spot. Hopefully will get to try it out at summit point in a few weeks