Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Brembo Brake Rebuild Kit

I'm going to rebuild all 4 brake calipers this Spring. I can't seem to find the Brembo/OEM kit to buy. From my research it appears there are problems with non OEM rebuild gaskets. Anyone have a link to find the Brembo kit?

Thanks

P993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #2

I looked and looked and couldn't find a "brembo" or "oem" kit. I went with the Centric kit. I only did my fronts so far but the stuff fit really nice and looked as good quality as what was in the car - which might not have been oem anyway.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #3

Hoerr Racing sells brembo seals and boots. Note that they are sold individually. They aren't cheap!

36mm Anti-Knock-Back Pressure Seal - each
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
I looked and looked and couldn't find a "brembo" or "oem" kit. I went with the Centric kit. I only did my fronts so far but the stuff fit really nice and looked as good quality as what was in the car - which might not have been oem anyway.
I heard on a spec boxster forum somewhere (maybe rennlist) that the 36mm centric seal was problematic on Boxsters. Base boxsters use the same diameter pistons as S (36 and 40 front, 28 and 30 back) but the part number for (the centric aftermarket versions I checked) the front pistons themselves is different.

I have this same kit sitting in my parts box to install at some point, so it is good to hear a good report of it fitting well on a Boxster S.

Racing brake also sells their own brand of caliper rebuild kits, seals, boots, pistons, and also hi-temp silicon boots.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:39 AM   #5

Thanks for the input...I'm aware of the Racing brake kit and that will likely be the direction I go. I'll post on Rennlist as well looking for help. I know there have been problems with some of the solutions out there.
P993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by P993C2S View Post
Thanks for the input...I'm aware of the Racing brake kit and that will likely be the direction I go. I'll post on Rennlist as well looking for help. I know there have been problems with some of the solutions out there.
I have some of their hi temp silicon boots along with my centric kit and I haven't gotten around to installing any of it....

I think stop-tech (parent company of centric? or maybe the other way around?) also has hi-temp boots.

The full racing brake kit looks very nice with the chromed pistons, etc... But very $$$

Edit: if you find some new info on RL please post it here too
Old 03-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post
Hoerr Racing sells brembo seals and boots. Note that they are sold individually. They aren't cheap!

36mm Anti-Knock-Back Pressure Seal - each
That is equivalent to what I paid to rebuild 944 turbo S brakes, just stupid. I got the stuff from Paragon, but have not checked to see if they carry the boxster caliper rebuild parts.

Just as an aside, when I replaced with turbo s calipers with Wilwood Integra 6R, a complete caliper seal rebuild kit was $16, and that was on a 6-piston caliper!
2001 986 S (parting)
2015 981 (sold)
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #8

I bought the brembo dust boots before buying the centric kit - honestly - other than color - the quality of the stuff looks the same. We'll see how they hold up - only have a few days on the kit since the rebuild. I can't see spending $240 on seals..

Also - I stayed away from the high temp silicon boots due to the issues with brake fluid - with frequent bleeds and pad changes it can get messy in there.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
Also - I stayed away from the high temp silicon boots due to the issues with brake fluid - with frequent bleeds and pad changes it can get messy in there.
I wondered about that, I have spilled brake fluid a time or two... and the original boots are still going strong.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
inveniam viam aut faciam

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone, but I got Centric caliper seal kits for a set of 996 calipers on Rock auto.com for $15/each...

I honestly have no idea as to the quality, but for the price I thought I couldn't lose just to check them out.

Last edited by Qmulus; 05-03-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote