Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 06:41 AM   #1

Question for you racers regarding "Banging" sound at shifts

OK... this has nothing to do with Boxsters, but I have searched the web and can't find the answer. When I was have been at race tracks and watch the newer Porsche races cars on the track I hear a loud "bang" or "pop" sound when they shift while racing. What is this caused by? TIA

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
Racer Boy

I'm guessing that what you are hearing is the ignition being cut for a very brief amount of time during an upshift. If the car has a sequential shift transmission, or a dual-clutch transmission, the driver keeps the throttle flat to the floor during the shift, but the ignition gets "cut" for a micro-second to unload the gears so the shift can be completed. That is why you hear the "bang" during the shift.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
OK... this has nothing to do with Boxsters, but I have searched the web and can't find the answer. When I was have been at race tracks and watch the newer Porsche races cars on the track I hear a loud "bang" or "pop" sound when they shift while racing. What is this caused by? TIA
You are hear the clutch less transmissions shifting. The race cars use a setup different then the street version of the PDK, which has nothing to dampen driveline sounds during shifting, resulting in loud noises when shifting. If you watch the FIA rally cars, which also use racing clutch less transmissions, you will hear a similar sound when they shift.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #4

Cool. Thanks for the info.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote