Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

Garage
PSM Switch.

Two weekends ago at VIR I'd turn off PSM before leaving the pits (Switch Illuminated) as soon as I get to turn 3 and hit the inside strip it return to engaged (led "Off"). Now I don't believe It cut out my throttle on that turn, but it resets, and I notice loose of throttle response on turn 4. Its a little busy there so after turn 6A I press the switch again the led comes on and at turn 8 it goes back out after the car unloads the right side. (I've seen pictures of a GT3 cup car off the ground there).

How can I turn this off at track and keep it off. 2003 Base.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

check planet 9. there is an issue w the 987 where, even when off, the psm is still present. in their case I think you can't pull the fuse/relay as that disengages abs as well? what they do is put the yaw sensor on a switch. with the yaw off then psm thinks all is good and doesn't come on. dunno about the 986 system.

Last edited by The Radium King; 04-03-2016 at 03:03 PM. Reason: http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/13861-psm-turn-off.html
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is a good link on the subject:

PSM disable on '04 Boxster - Rennlist Discussion Forums
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
inveniam viam aut faciam

Unfortunately, you cannot fully disable just the PSM on these cars, as even turning the switch off does not fully disable PSM, and it reactivates to full on nanny mode once you cross the threshold where it thinks you need PSM.

The only real "solution" is to replace the PSM unit with the ABS system from a non-PSM car. Even the 996 TT has this issue, and they all had PSM. There is a local car that just had its PSM system replaced with the ABS system from a 996 Cup car. With the PSM system, there are some track situations with extreme braking that can do some odd and somewhat dangerous behavior.