Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #1

Immobilizer

Can you eliminate the immobilizer for a Spec Boxster? It says it can be moved.

Greydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #2

You need to have it for the car to run unless the ECU is reprogrammed, which isn't allowed under PCA rules. The number of wires connecting to it can be reduced, which makes it easier to relocate. You can keep it under/next to the seat if you want, but I suggest putting it in a plastic bag to protect from water.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

^^^ What Spendy said.

Someone removed it a few years ago and was ultimately disqualified for illegal modification of the car (despite the fact that there is no "performance" improvement in doing so).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the input, but you can strip all unnecessary wiring and components. What about going to push start?
Greydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
inveniam viam aut faciam

You cannot run the engine without the immobilizer. I doesn't just stop the starter from operating.

You can get down to just four or five wires into the immobilizer, so its impact on weight and complexity is quite small. I am working on something that I think will be a good option for race cars, but I'm not going to go into it any further details until it is ready.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greydog View Post
What about going to push start?
Hard to say - depends on the interpretation of the rules.

Might be ok if you simply wire a power on/off switch in series with a push-start button to replace the electrical portion of the key (and keep the immobilizer and ECU stock).

Of course, then you'll be tempted to also remove the mechanical steering lock and ditch the key altogether (while leaving the immobilizer pill from the key fob in the car so it starts).

The rules say that only mods listed in the rules are allowed. Since this mod isn't explicitly in the rules, it is unclear whether it would be allowed or not.

I would suggest contacting the competition director or lead scrutineer from the sanctioning organization that you plan to race with (POC, PCA, NASA, SCCA, etc) and get their feedback on the legality before going down this path.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 02-14-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #7

Re pushstart, I've thought about just keeping everying in place and adding a pushstart. So technically, I could still turn the key to start, but the pushstart would give me piece of mind in not having to worry about failures in the ignition switch, tumber, losing a key, etc.

In general, I'm personally okay with a little interpretation of the rules that don't add performance advantage. As my skills get me closer to the podium, I would do less interpreting, but I would not take a chance on any intepretation that would cost me serious time or money to fix.
roocox@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roocox@gmail.com View Post
In general, I'm personally okay with a little interpretation of the rules...
At the end of the day, its up the to sanctioning body to decide what is legal and what is illegal. Thus, the best course of action is not to make the call yourself, but to have the sanctioning body approve/disapprove the mod - then there won't be any issue if someone complains (and I can almost guarantee that someone, somewhere, at some time, will complain).
1979 911 SC
Old 02-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #9

I'm a Scrutineer for PCA ...

… and we do allow for push-button start on SPB (Spec Boxster)
The rules state:
• ECU and programming must remain stock; no other engine management can be added.
• Steering wheel lock must be removed.

Most people remove the complete ignition lock (mechanical and electronic) - saves weight.
The Immobilizer wiring must remain intact, but you can attach the key's Immobilizer pill to the Immobilizer sensor therefore maintaining the ECU's functions intact.
You can then install a push-button start.
You also need to add an electrical kill switch.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
At the end of the day, its up the to sanctioning body to decide what is legal and what is illegal. Thus, the best course of action is not to make the call yourself, but to have the sanctioning body approve/disapprove the mod - then there won't be any issue if someone complains (and I can almost guarantee that someone, somewhere, at some time, will complain).
Old 02-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #10

Pedro,
Are you saying that the ignition switch can be removed because it is considered part of the steering wheel lock?

I am not disagreeing with you - just trying to understand the logic.

thanks
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #11

Yeah, for some reason, I was under the impression that the ignition housing had to stay intact. Good call, Pedro, I was reading the rules as you've copied here, and removing the housing doesn't appear to be excluded. I love the idea of pulling it an just keeping the immobilizer + key pill. Does anybody have a write-up on wiring a push button start for these cars?

roocox@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote