Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #1

Looking for Insert for Radio/AC Delete

I'm going to remove my AC/Radio in the upcoming months. Considering taking the dash off and clearing out some of the wiring harness and passenger air bag at that time as well. I've checked all the usual sites for a carbon fiber/aluminum insert to fill the area but haven't found anything. What was your solution? Create it yourself? I found a fiberglass airbag cover on the Tunersmotorsports website. Not planning on installing cool suit switch, temp gauges or other goodies in that area for now just looking to fill the hole.

P993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Mine was custom cut from aluminum.

Next step is to use the aluminum panel as a template to have a custom-cut carbon fiber plate with military-style circular connectors and switches for cool suit power/cameras/fans/etc.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #3

ebay - DIN-sized 52mm gauge faceplates ...

Premium Universal DIN Gauge Pod 52mm 2 1 16" Triple Pod Radio Mount | eBay

you can get singles, doubles, triples, singles with switch openings, etc.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ is a service to make custom front panel designs. You can download their software package, design a panel, and submit right from the tool (I think, I have not yet submitted one). Pretty affordable, around $25 for a single din size 2 gauge panel in 3 mm aluminum (which is what I have spec'd out). I haven't yet submitted yet because I want to be sure I have the dimensions right. I *think* the top spot in the bottom cubby is 180mm wide by 58'ish mm high but I don't know how accurate that is. Also I don't know the radius of the corners. I am going to try and scan my cubby tray at a certain DPI and see if I can translate that into accurate dimensions.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote