Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2015, 05:29 AM   #1

FRS/BRZ SCCA C Stock vs Boxster

Last year I was able to squeak out a 2nd place in street class at my local autox club. This year though one of the members is building a FRS c street car and is a hell of a driver. Driver skill being equal how does a boxster prepared for c street compared to an FRS? It doesn't look their were any boxsters placing at the national level however there were plenty of FRS's, I'm sure it's a more popular car as well though. Has anyone run against an frs with at least decent tires (rivals, rs3's etc)?

Cheers to autox session being back

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:46 AM   #2

I have been running in BS and then ASP with my 2000 Boxster S in SCCA autocross. I'm in ASP because of my Cat delete pipes and UDP. I am usually the only car in ASP so I am back to running in BS with the blessing of my fellow BS competitors. If I was winning I imagine they might not be so accommodating (and if I was I would not feel comfortable either). I did win BS once but that was before I installed the cat delete pipes or the UDP. It felt pretty good, I beat a couple of S2000s. of course at subsequent events I got spanked by a husband/wife team with an S2000 on G-Force Rivals that beat me by 6 seconds (on a 50'ish second course... !!!!)

FRS - there are usually a few when we run in Jacksonville and a ton of them when we run in Gainesville. Some of them are wicked fast, and on more than one occasion when I happen to be gridded next to one and we are comparing times they chortle with glee as they tell their buddies "I beat the Porsh".

Part of it is that I am still fairly new, part is that I am understeering like a #$%^. but part of it has to be that the FRS is a good car.

At my last event in Feb, my best time was 42.965. There also some FRS/BRZ:
FRS in stx: 40.377
BRZ in stx: 40.927 (and the same BRZ with another driver ran a 48.153)
FRS in stx: 43.864

I am running Hankook RS-3 225/45/17 in front and 255/40/17 in the back. I can feel a definite improvement in handling over my previous tires (Sumitomo HTR Z III which were still pretty good and Dunlop DZ101 which were good street tires but terrible at autocross...)

I think the reason you don't see many Boxsters is that the car is just not competitive in the classes that they put it in. I heard somebody say at the last autocross when we were talking Porsches is that one of the top Autocross guys (Andy Hollis or Pobst or somebody) said something to the lines of "They (SCCA) don't want to see any boxsters/porsches dominating their classes" or something to that effect. Unsure how true that is.

Last edited by steved0x; 03-13-2015 at 05:49 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote