Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

Does DME 5.2.2 have CANBUS

Hi All,

by default I would say "NO it does not have CanBus". But I'm seeing in the docs that the TipTronic DME 5.2.2 Does have CanBus. I know that there are different ones for TipTronic(M249) vs 2.5L Manual, but my understanding of can bus is that all that would be needed to keep it the same in both would be a terminate the signal via a 20 ohm resistor between + and -. Why would Porsche need to have 2 different firmwares to manage? It makes me think maybe it's done that way internally and CanBus is available on pin 85 and 86.

Has anyone tried? (I'm sure it's wishful thinking, but I had to ask).

Cheers,
Pucky

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #2

Are the ECUs from the same generation model? If so, I can't imagine any company would change the way their electronics would communicate. The ECUs might have different ISO or SAE CANBus standards, but it would be very silly to have one ECU CANBus and one conventional.

BTW, CANBus communication is not an engine ECU only module, other types of body ECU will use CANBus also.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #3

It does have CAN but the datastream has nothing of use for us. We are stuck with the slow ISO 9141/2 K-line for any engine parameters and the list of channels available is quite small.
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Thank you,

I find CAN a really cool protocol and would love to get as much as I "can", but if the data in the 5.2.2. is not really useful then I'll pass on the activity.

I have a Motec CDL3 which is limited on the expansion so anything I can get in CAN would reduce the number of external additions I'd have to add. I have a POT String to log Steering input. I guess I'll have to add break pressure, throttle position and dampers and E888 for adding tire temp.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote