Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #1

Grear sets

Porsche had different gear ratio sets for the 901 gear box that could be used in 911 & 914 gear box. Are there any available for the Boxster or Caymans? What's good for the street is not necessarily good at the track when it comes to ratios.
Any one change theirs up?

Louis

Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

If you are working with a 5 speed, you can get creative with gears from other Audi 012 gear boxes. If you are working with a 6 speed, your options are pretty limited... and expensive.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #3

Expensive? That's a given! Just wondering if Porsche made several ratios like the old gear boxes, doesn't sound like they do. Maybe just to a Hewland conversion, any one done that? I know it will be stupid expensive!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Many of the Boxster race cars are set up to meet the Boxster Spec requirements where the 5-sp manual with the stock gear ratios is the only transmission allowed. I'm sure that there is some knowledge out there from GT and other forms of racing, but this has probably slowed the level of experience and availability.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-13-2014 at 10:57 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #5

I figured that the spec cars could only use certain sets. I was curious if any other classes would use alternate sets if available.
I used to do SCCA racing in S2000 and we had plenty of gear sets from Webster and Hewland to choose from. Getting the ratios right for each track made a difference. A 6sp with several ratios to pick from sounds like it would be nice to have in these cars for track use.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I figured that the spec cars could only use certain sets. I was curious if any other classes would use alternate sets if available.
I used to do SCCA racing in S2000 and we had plenty of gear sets from Webster and Hewland to choose from. Getting the ratios right for each track made a difference. A 6sp with several ratios to pick from sounds like it would be nice to have in these cars for track use.
With your references to Hewland & Webster, I am guessing you mean the Sports 2000 class, as opposed to that Honda car that used a similar name. I used to race a Lola T592S in the class, and would love to have that car back. Gear ratio changes were pretty easy on that one.

The 5 speed box actually has pretty good ratios for track and auto-x. Some guys have even changed oto using the 5-speed on a Boxser S. That is probably the best low cost approach to better gearing.

You might also check Quaife, and see if they are making a sequential gearbox that would work.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #7

That's the cars, ran a 87 Swift Db2 and a SC82 Tiga. The Swift was way faster, the Tiga was way more fun.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
That's the cars, ran a 87 Swift Db2 and a SC82 Tiga. The Swift was way faster, the Tiga was way more fun.
Nice. Back in the day, a Tiga SC84 in the SEDIV used to give me fits. I never ran against a DB-2, but understand they are fairly sensitive to set-up.

Do you hang out here too?

S2 Racing Forums

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 AM   #9

Don't really hang out there, but check it out ever so often to see whats up. S2000 is a dying class. I'd like to find a chassis and put Boxster motor in it for track days. Have a poor mans 906 or 910!
But that would take more money than I have!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #10

Why do we not have 100 different gear sets like the 901/915/930?

The VW Audi boxes in the Porsche's have PRESS on gears

Which means we can *really* only swap the gears a few times before they slip on the shaft.

901/915/930 ALL had spline'd gear sets that slid on the shafts.

And we do have some options, but you have to do it like we did back in the 80's... BUY A LOT of different used transmissions to get the gears you want!!

Diesel Passat from the UK? 5 speed Boxster box with different ratio's.. think outside of the USA for 5 speed parts.

ALL the early Hewlands where based on the VW/901 4 speed and 5 speed.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #11

The early audi vw boxes probably have gears which fit in the 5 speed but not the 6.

VWAudiChris is offline   Reply With Quote