Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Long auto-x video

This was a pretty long auto-x course:

AMBA0004.MOV - YouTube

This run was a 1:21.4, which was the fastest time of the day for anyone on street tires, and was third fastest time counting the guys on R-comps. One of the longest courses I've ever run for sure.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Good driving, I liked how you kept your momentun up and the car balanced.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #3

Nice!! Good job

This a perfect video for showing how slow the Boxster steering is.. see how much he has to turn the wheel??

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #4

I never know how people remember the course. Seems so confusing watching the video. Wish there was an outside of the car video. Would had been more lovley to see the car dancing on the course. What year is your Boxster?
Kianfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #5

Quote:
I never know how people remember the course
We walk the course.. then I make my students DRAW the course from memory before their first run. I walk it forward and I walk it backwards. Then we review the drawing after each pass and we review in car video (like this one) after every pass..

Took my (then 16yo) stepdaughter to her first AutoX in her first car (ScionTC) made her run in the mens class.. 2 classes higher than were she should have been (there were 6 cars in the class) I made her walk the course with me, made her draw the course multiple times, handed her off to a lady who professionally instructs for Scion here in SoCal..

She beat everyone Took 1st out of 6 cars in her class, we were on street tires, everyone else was on stickie tires. She had only possessed a CA drivers license for a total of 5 days prior to the NIGHTTIME event Yep.. she did it in the dark (streetlights basically)

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #6

Damn, that's baller
Kianfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #7

The fastest BoxsterSpec race car driver in Virginia.. started off AutoX'ing. He is in the Sterling area!!

Where are you located? He is talking about running his Spec car at a few local AutoX's this year

B
Old 04-10-2012, 02:32 AM   #8

Thanks for the complements all. I had never realized the 986 had such a slow turning radius until you pointed that out Brad. I wonder if there is a quicker steering box that will fit - maybe without power steering. Oh boy another modification.

I agree that autocross can be a great family sport / activity. I got my daughter involved when she turned 16, but it took her a few years until she could beat most of the guys. You may have a natural on your hands.

Some have said elsewhere on these boards that auto-x is boring and not as significant as track driving, but I think the talents from one are easily transferrable to the other. I autocrossed for about 7 years, went road racing for 6 years, and now I'm back to auto-x and occasional DE's.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
but I think the talents from one are easily transferrable to the other
Its a one way transfer.. promise.. AutoX guy's can do well at the track, but track guy's that decide to AutoX... well.. typically.. they suck LOL

Yes. A guy in Texas installed a steering quickner inline on his BoxsterS. It comes from the sand rail crowd. You can buy them in different ratio's. We have used them for 20+ years in 911's and 914's when we were too cheap to buy the factory Porsche quick ratio racks!!

B