Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2007, 04:28 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to dmenn
Preparing to detail my car for the spring ..

Hi all, I've had my Boxster parked away for the past few months and I'd like to detail it before I bring it out for the summer driving season. I've read quite a few topics on this forum and other forums to try and figure out what I should get and the order I should do things. I'm hoping some of the detailing experts can help here. I plan to do this work by hand and not using an orbital of some sort. If that is not a good idea, please let me know. This is for an Artic Silver car. BTW, this list is for detailing the exterior of the car only.

I'll provide some examples of products I've been looking at for each step listed below. I'll also list the tools that I think are necessary. Any feedback on the products, tools, and steps would be appreciated. Thanks!!

1) Wash Car (SONUS Gloss Shampoo, Optimum No Rinse)
- Wash Mitt (SONUS Ultimate Wool/Meguiars Ultra Plus)
- Drying Towel (SONUS der wunder Drying Towel)

2) Clay Car (Meguiars Clay, $10 Clay Package on Autopia, SONUS Clay Kit)
- Clay Lubricant (Whatever comes with clay bar kit)
- Polishing Towel (SONUS der Wunder Polishing Towel, Perfect Shine Polishing Towel)

3) Remove Swirls/Repair Paint (Poorboys SSR 2.5, SONUS SFX-1 Restore Polish)
- Foam Applicator (SONUS SFX Professional Applicator)
- Polishing Towel (same as #2)

** I have light swirls, is step #3 necessary, or will step #4 handle that?

4) Clean Paint/Light Polish (Klasse All-in-One)
- Microfiber Applicator (SONUS Der Wunder Applicator)

5) Seal Paint (Klasse Sealant Glaze)
- Foam Applicator (same as #3)

** Is Klasse Sealant Glaze step necessary??

6) Wax Paint (P21, S100, Meguiars NXT)
- Foam Applicator (same as #3)
- Buffing Towel (SONUS der Wunder Buffing Towel/Concours Buffing Towel)

7) Maintain Finish over summer (SONUS Carnuba Spritz)
- Microfiber Towel (same as #2 polishing towel)

dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
bmussatti

Luckly for you, your car is Artic Silver. Have you researched any of the Zaino products (www.zainobros.com)?
Old 03-11-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
bmussatti

Dmenn, what do you plan to put on the leather? I recommend the "Soffener" from www.colorplus.com. Great stuff.

For washing/cleaning windows I recommend a mixture of Distilled Water & Denatured Alcohol. 2 parts water to 1 part d.a. Spray mixture on a clean towel, then wash window, to finish use another dry towel and buff dry. Work fast, this stuff dries fast. Not in direct sunlight.

For tires, Vinylex is great. Not too shiney.

For wheels and "leading edges" (front/rear bumpers, mirrors) I use RejeX.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to dmenn
I haven't researched much into leather, glass, tires, etc.

However in the past I've used Lexol for the leather, Invisible Glass for the Glass, and one of the tire gels for my tires.

I'll definitely look into your suggestions, as that will come after I figure out the products I need for the paint.

Thanks, Dave
dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #5

Dave,

The best stuff I have ever used on the leather is a product call Leatherique http://leatherique.com/. It's kind of expensive @ $55.00 for the 32 oz set (price has gone down, was $75.00 when I bought it last) but it is worth every penny. The only negative it that it is a two step process and to do it properly it will take a few days but ,again, it is worth the added work.

I haven't used the SSR 2.5 but if I remember correctly, that is a pretty agressive polish. You will want to follow it with a Final Polish (I think the Poor Boy's product is called SSR 1.0)

You really, really sould get a PC orbital to do all the steps before the SG. You will not be able to duplicate the speed or consistience needed on the polishing steps by hand.

Also, be very careful with the Klasse SG. You will want to moisten the applicator first and use a very, very small amount of SR (like 1.0 oz. for the entire car) Apply to a very small area ( like 2 ft X 2 ft) and then wipe off. If you can see the SG when you are applying it, you are using too much. When you use too much, it will haze up and the only way to get it off is to go back to the AOI and start from there again. If you put on more than one coat, you need to wait 24 hours before then next one to allow the first coat to cure.

The P21S is a great wax but does not last that long. It may react badly with the SG (haze up) but since your car is silver, I doubt you will have any problems.

Looks like you picked some great products. Good luck.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #6

The best stuff I've used on leather is Bick 4. You'll only find it in tack shops.
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #7

I do not think that stetp 4 alone will remove your swirls. SSR2.5 is a little aggressive for swirls. You might want to look at SSR1 or SSR2. Always start with the least aggressive product/pad combination and you can step up if that does not remove the swirls.