Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #1

Rotors and brake pads

I am just wondering what tools i need to do this job. So far I have read i need to remove (2) 10 mm bolts from the caliper to remove it from the actual rotor. What kind of bolt are on the rotor that have to be removed? I have bought the motive brake bleeder already and am awaiting the arrival of it. I figure while i am doing new rotors and pads that i would do the painting of the calipers. Does anyone suggest a brake fluid to use since the car is only used for street use. Also if someone has pictures of where to put the jack stands under the porsche since i would like to do all the rotors/pads at once instead of 1 at a time it will take forever then. One more thing to add do you think that i could use a ratchet set to remove all the bolts will if have enough leverage .

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #2

The rotor is held on by a couple of little screws. A Phillips screwdriver will remove these. The screws may be a bit difficult to remove after years of use and you may need to use some force but they will break free. Check renntech for complete instructions on how to do all of what you are planning to do. I'm no mechanic and I changed the front pads/rotors in under an hour. Stupid easy!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Other than a Brake dust Cleaner spray, jack, jackstands, and the lug nut wrench... YOu need a large Allen key to remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper to the hub... not a 10mm socket or wrench, Its a Allen bolt. Then 2 phillips screws holding each rotor to the hub. Might need a pick to pop the brake wear sensors... careful they crack and crack kills!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:18 AM   #4

ok.. i got the allen key tool that came with the ratchet set.. and new sensors as well... any tip u getting those phillip scrws out of the rotots. Should i use power drill and put a phillip screw tip on it to remove or am i going to have throw my back out to remove these screws.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #5

I wouldn't chance a power tool with the philips screw

If you slip, or it slips, you've got a great deal of pain to deal with. If you stip the head. Use your muscles! You don't use back muscles to turn a screw driver.
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
The screws on the front rotors can be done by hand. The rear rotors will be alittle more stuck, Place a screw driver on then, then give the back of the screwdriver afew good taps on the head with a hammer or heavy wrench... that should make it easier to brake free. You dont need new sensors if you dont have a "Brake Wear" warning light on your dash that is solidly lit while your driving., you can re-use the old ones.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #7

the sensors came with the pads so that is why i have new ones. Also, I know you don't use your back but your muscles and nerves run up your back no matter ho you try to avoid it they get used. I have 3 herainted discs in my back from a car accident that is why i asked about the toughness of getting out these screws. My other question is do you tighten the phillips screws by hand or did you use a torque to tighten them. I don't want to be driving down the road and the screws fall out lol.

p.s i am a cert. personal trainer so i know what i am talking about when it comes to the muscle groups and what is used during certain activities
Old 03-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #8

The proper tool to remove the brake rotor screws is called a hammer driver, or an impact driver (not an impact wrench - this is not an air driven tool, it's a hammer driven tool). Sears sells them. Makes life much, much easier.

Those screws serve no purpose other than to hold the rotors onto the hubs when the car is traveling down the assembly line. You don't even need them. The lug bolts securing the wheel keep the rotor on. No worries about torquing them properly.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #9

PB Blaster is your friend. If you can't loosen the nuts or screws, hit it with some PB Blaster and give it a few minutes.

Simple tools should get you done. It's relatively easy to remove the calipers and rotors.

I'd also recommend getting some rubber gloves. The blue ones... the regular yellowish/clear ones are pretty thin, the blue ones are tougher. I recommend this because after changing my brake pads, I had black gunk under my nails for a couple weeks! Makes clean up a lot easier if you use gloves!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote