Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 05:45 AM   #1

2008 M3 Pics

Here are some pics of the new M3 from the Geneva Auto Show. I personally love the look, aggressive but understated. If you read the comments, seems like most of the posters don't like the look.

410hp is nice!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/06/geneva-motor-show-bmw-m3-concept/

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:55 AM   #2

It will need 400+ horsepower. It'll probably weigh 3700lbs. : oink oink :
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:14 AM   #3

The relatively poor 0-60 time indicates it will weigh a lot.

414hp from a 4.0l v8 makes me want to cream

BMW M cars are something else.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #4

I'll take broadband torque over a high peak horsepower number anyday. Horsepower per liter is a worthless statistic, but it looks great in print.

I loved my '95 M3, but the cars have gone up in weight since then and BMW lost me as a customer.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 AM   #5

Looks great - I want one!
larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
I'll take broadband torque over a high peak horsepower number anyday. Horsepower per liter is a worthless statistic, but it looks great in print.

I loved my '95 M3, but the cars have gone up in weight since then and BMW lost me as a customer.

Screw that. HP/L means high-revving, high pitched amazing sound and amazing experience.

I'll take that any day over an 8.3l v10 w/ 510hp.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Screw that. HP/L means high-revving, high pitched amazing sound and amazing experience.
Hm. Fair enough. I'd rather go faster
Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #8

I guess for me personally, part of the experience of going faster is feeling it and feeling the inspiration.

Can't have one w/out the other, just like feeling like you're going fast and not going fast isn't so great either.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
I guess for me personally, part of the experience of going faster is feeling it and feeling the inspiration.
Understandable. I've been spoiled in the past by engines that produce a nice solid wall of torque from idle to redline, and they're so much more usable on the street than a peaky, high-winding engine that produces a bunch of peak horsepower.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #10

You are right about that. Especially considering 987s have a HUGE DEAD SPOT at about 2k RPM (which the ECU flash I bought claims to remove) and it is very annoying. Feels like a crappy automatic transmission.

Let's say you are going WOT in a torquey, muscular car. You feel yourself moving fast, especially due to the torque, but do you ever need to be going that fast for daily driving? Surely half the throttle will get you in front of any cars you want to pass with ease.

So the other half of the equation would be just what I am talking about, the thrill, and that would better justify using that driving technique. Maybe I am totally wrong about this.

I'm only explaining again because I think I did a poor job explaining the first time.

I think the solution is that we all need a Lamborghini. Problem solved. Who's in?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i dont think that car has the "M" look to it at all, looks like a piped out accord,it needs to look more agressve, something just seems to be missing.
i do like the CF roof tho, tail light are fuglyyy...

but then again, i cant wait to see what AC Schnitzer and Rieger will come out with for this car..

e30 m3>e36 m3>e46 m3>this whatever looking m3
one day i will get another e30 (M this time)
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #12

Looks like a Pontiac! The E46 (previous generation) is much more athletic and agressive looking. The other unfortunate thing is that BMW does too good a job of incorporating the 'luxury' factor into their sport coupes. At least with Porsche, even surrounded by creature comforts, you still felt like you were driving a sports car. BMW gets caught up making their cars too driveable for the the lame-o's out there who want a nice, comfortable driving experience back and forth to work and the grocery store
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #13

Dr. Mach, nice of you to stop by. How's life and your cars treating you?

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #14

Hey SD - doing alright- residency training sucks the life out of ya, though.! I miss the Porsche! the 330 zhp is a nice car, but just doesnt feel like a sports car. have been talking to my wife about maybe giving her the bimmer and buying another Porsche - but that may be another year or so down the road. In the meantime, I'll just tweak here and there on the BMW.

We did take a trip up the coast to Monterey a few weeks back - if you're ever up that way, an amazing drive (in addition to the PCH) is Carmel Valley Village Dr - nice gentle drive for the first 11 miles into the valley and into Carmel Valley Village, where you can stop and have a nice lunch and glass of wine. Then, continue on and the road is an amazing two lane windy adventure for miles and miles that makes you feel like you're screaming through the european country side - wahooooooooo! Only thing better would have been driving it in a Porsche. Passed somebody coming up the PCH a few days earlier in an old 356 convertible with a huge smile on their face as they zipped around the corner - lovely!

How are things with you - still love the car?
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #15

Glad to hear you're well, Mach. I agree, that the Monterey peninsula has some nice driving. Not sure if I've been on the road you mentioned, but I was impressed with 17-mile drive - worth the $8 bucks for the privilege.

Still pleased with the 987 S, but keeping up with the Joneses in the Porsche world can be aggravating. Aside from the 3.4 upgrade in the 07 there's spy-shots out there of the '08 refresh. In a moment of weakness, or boredom, I even specced a 997 C4S cabriolet on the configurator the other day, but had to shut'er down after I saw that I was at the 150K+ mark with all the options I'd want.

When my current car cycles are up I've been thinking I won't get another Porsche and am looking forward to the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage roadster. This will of course make sense as I'd be going from the poor man's Porsche to the poor man's AM.

You should stop by more frequently. The forum has grown in membership quite a bit but some of the posters from the past don't seem to frequent the page as often, to the board's detriment.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Glad to hear you're well, Mach. I agree, that the Monterey peninsula has some nice driving. Not sure if I've been on the road you mentioned, but I was impressed with 17-mile drive - worth the $8 bucks for the privilege.

Still pleased with the 987 S, but keeping up with the Joneses in the Porsche world can be aggravating. Aside from the 3.4 upgrade in the 07 there's spy-shots out there of the '08 refresh. In a moment of weakness, or boredom, I even specced a 997 C4S cabriolet on the configurator the other day, but had to shut'er down after I saw that I was at the 150K+ mark with all the options I'd want.

When my current car cycles are up I've been thinking I won't get another Porsche and am looking forward to the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage roadster. This will of course make sense as I'd be going from the poor man's Porsche to the poor man's AM.

You should stop by more frequently. The forum has grown in membership quite a bit but some of the posters from the past don't seem to frequent the page as often, to the board's detriment.

BLAH!

AM is way over-priced.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #17

I am willing to bet a 987 with a 3.8l swap would smoke this car all day long - on track and off. Smaller engine, but lighter and more balanced car, and hp at least near the M3's...

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #18

But how does it sound?

I posted this in the video gallery before I saw this thread, but check it, yo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv-F8PnaJf4
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #19

Gorgeous car, they will sell a ton of them!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Gorgeous car, they will sell a ton of them!
I have no doubt about that! If I could afford one, I'd be on the list.

I think Bavarian Motorist put it most eloquently when he said, "414hp from a 4.0l v8 makes me want to cream."

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote