Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Porscheectomy

Happy with the short shifter

Over the winter, I installed an ebay B&M clone short shifter on my 2000 S.

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=70539#post70539

For $55, you get a very nicely made part with some second rate plastic parts. I replaced the nylon plastic parts with teflon and installed the shifter.

I've finally had the opportunity to actually drive the car around now that the snow is melted and I have to say, I really like the way it works. The gates are very well defined and the throws are nice and short. There is an increase in notchiness, but it's not objectionable. The feeling is much more precise than stock.

I know some members on the board have been disappointed with these kits but I am really happy with it.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Did you flip the shaft 180 or leave it angled?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Did you flip the shaft 180 or leave it angled?
I flipped it.

It's really nice to be able to shift with the flip of the wrist. Maybe it will keep me from accidentally opening/closing the window with my elbow.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i have the same shifter as well and love it, its very well made and with the flipped shaft its even better
for that little money you cant go wrong, and its much shorter of a shift too
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #5

I have the Schnell and am very pleased. The only thing I'd like to do would be to re-bush the shift shaft into the body to eliminate the tiny bit of play that is there.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #6

I don't understand why anyone would lash out dough on something that is so easy to make yourself -- i.e., a home-made short shifter. This is just what I did, and then put on a knockoff MOMO knob:
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer
I don't understand why anyone would lash out dough on something that is so easy to make yourself -- i.e., a home-made short shifter. This is just what I did, and then put on a knockoff MOMO knob:
That's not the correct way to make a short shifter. Cutting the stock one shorter, if that's what you did. The "short shifter" works more with the "angle and shape" of the connecting shaft than it does with the overall hight. That's the wrong way to get a short shifter.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #8

That is the way Porsche did it on the 2004 special edition. The shift lever is 1 inch shorter than the standard shift.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yes they sure did it that way, but they only got about 15% or so shorter shift, compared to 30% or some, whatever it is that b&m claims.
heck, you can now go as far as to say that cuttin short the b&m shifter will be a good idea as well...

btw, did you notice much difference w cutting it short?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
heck, you can now go as far as to say that cuttin short the b&m shifter will be a good idea as well...
One of our local owners, Danny, did this. He cut maybe 2 inches off a B&M. I even pulled his boot up to make sure there was a B&M in there.

Now that is a short shift. Like flipping a light switch.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #11

porsche986spyder wrote:
> That's not the correct way to make a short shifter. [...]
> That's the wrong way to get a short shifter.

Oh jeez -- I'm glad I'm not your son. Besides, it's puzzling that you own a Porsche since they seem to do most everything the "wrong way", including their own short-shifter ;^)

In any case, my shifter is now about 2" shorter -- slightly shorter than the palm of my hand -- just the way I want it, (it feels so good to be wrong ;^)

-- peer
Old 03-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer
porsche986spyder wrote:
> That's not the correct way to make a short shifter. [...]
> That's the wrong way to get a short shifter.

Oh jeez -- I'm glad I'm not your son. Besides, it's puzzling that you own a Porsche since they seem to do most everything the "wrong way", including their own short-shifter ;^)

In any case, my shifter is now about 2" shorter -- slightly shorter than the palm of my hand -- just the way I want it, (it feels so good to be wrong ;^)

-- peer
Oh jeez -- Sorry for being wrong. I was just always told NOT to cut them in order to make a short shifter. Seems kind of a cheap and crapy way to do it. I'm not the only person that thinks this. It may just depend on the type of car. Most people I have talked to about this laugh when they hear that someone cut their shifter in order to MAKE a short shifter. Just like cutting your stock springs to make your car lower instead of buying good quality ones that are MADE corectly. You don't have to agree, but just tell your local machanic what you did and see if they don't laugh at you.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 03-07-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #13

Porsche986spyder wrote:
> You don't have to agree, but just tell your local machanic
> what you did and see if they don't laugh at you.

I guess most mechanics would also hate so hear that some of us work on our own cars.

-- peer
Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #14

This is what I found out...

The reasons why NOT to cut your stock shifter to MAKE a short shifter. I did some research and found this information.

It's still not a short THROW shifter. When you cut the top down, thats the only distance that is decrease. You still have the shifter that's under the shift point to contend with. When you just cut the top, you end up using more force when you shift. Your fulgrum point doesn't change and you need more leverage to shift. The B&M and Schnell shifter made are true short throw shifters. The shaft was cut down by 3" AS WELL AS changing the fulgrum point to make it a 1:1 shift ratio. Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #15
Porscheectomy

There's absolutely no problem with cutting the knob side of the shifter short to shorten the throws. It actually does reduce the throw length of the shifter.

It does, however, move the shifter further from the steering wheel and closer to the center armrest, which can bother some folks. It forces you to use a non-OEM shifter, which could bother some folks. And it doesn't get you the same precision feeling of lengthening the rod side of the lever. There is also a counterweight added to the short shifter, which helps to reduce the notchiness in the shorter shifts.

I use a Momo short anatomic shifter on my Rx-7, which shortened the shift throw somewhat and really feels nice, but in the case of the Boxster, I like the position and design of the shifter as it is and decided this route, which I am very happy with.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #16
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
The reasons why NOT to cut your stock shifter to MAKE a short shifter. I did some research and found this information.

It's still not a short THROW shifter. When you cut the top down, thats the only distance that is decrease. You still have the shifter that's under the shift point to contend with. When you just cut the top, you end up using more force when you shift. Your fulgrum point doesn't change and you need more leverage to shift. The B&M and Schnell shifter made are true short throw shifters. The shaft was cut down by 3" AS WELL AS changing the fulgrum point to make it a 1:1 shift ratio. Hope this helps.
When you cut down the knob side, you do reduce the shift distance, but not the shift angle.

The force you apply is proportional to the proportion of the distances on both ends of the fulcrum so whether you increase the rod side or decrease the knob side, as long as it's the same ratio, there will be the same force required to make the shift. The aftermarket shifters decrease the knob side AND increase the rod side, so they require more force than just cutting the knob side down. They also decrease the throw more.

Last edited by blue2000s; 03-07-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
......everyone shut up about shifters already!!!! jk
God i can really go for some lunch truck tacos---

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 03-07-2007 at 03:53 PM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote