Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #1

I hate to keep asking... but what about this car...

I'm going crazy trying to find "the right car" I've been looking all around the midwest... Anyway
I found this one:

silver w/black int
39k miles
asking $20,900.00
Garage kept etc etc.

The ad says mint and the photos look good. The car fax (although they do not show everything) came back great. It's never been auctioned like you see on the car fax's sometimes.

The owner is willing to meet me half way to a Porsche dealer in Madison Wisconsin for a PPI.

If everything looks good... what should I offer? Does his asking price seem to be okay? Granted the tires and brakes etc are in good shape and the PPI comes back good.

The only two things I do not like are the steering wheel (4 spoke) and the mileage... but for the price I think I can overlook those things.

Thanks for the help guys... it's nice to have an honest place like this to get opinions...

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
The only two things I do not like are the steering wheel (4 spoke) and the mileage... but for the price I think I can overlook those things.
Your kidding me right? The steering wheel and decent mileage(39k)? Once you own the car trust me,you will rack up mileage and as long as the steering wheel works you won't care if you have the three or four spoke. Minor things like that are the very last thing on your mind when you are having fun in turns.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #3

It sounds a lot like the car I bought last year. I paid $21,250 for a 2000 that had just under 30k on it. (The price didn't include the hard top which I bought on eBay for $610.)

So the price for the car you are looking at might be a little high. However, Boxsters values vary from region to region and that may account for part of the differnce. I think that Kelly Blue Book is a pretty good guide to Boxster pricing. You might check that and offer a price somewhere between trade in and private party price.

I discovered later that the seller of my car had been offered $20,500 by CarMax. (He left their appraisal in the paper work he gave me.) So, I probably could have bought my car for a bit less than I paid.

A Porsche crest on the four-spoke wheel dresses it up nicely.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 03-02-2007 at 01:40 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #4

Sounds like a fair deal. If the PPI finds nothing wrong and you've spoken with the guy a few times, I prefer asking "what would you let it go for?" If he counters with asking price, then make a reasonable offer - maybe $20.

Since you've spent $$ on a PPI, he would know you are a pretty serious buyer. When I bought mine he was asking "x", but I new he wanted to move quickly, and I knew he owed money on the car. He gave me his "min" price which was $1500 under his advertised price. Sold! At $20,900 he might have a low limit of $20. Might want to run the options thru a KBB/NADA guide and see where they think its worth as another price point.

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote