Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #1

Shipping costs

For those of you that bought your cars out of state and had them shipped, what carrier did you use and what should I expect as far as costs to ship a 986 from southern FL to Chicago. Thanks.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #2

I was going to ship my old car to the new seller in Florida from my home in New Jersey. I called DAS (all over Ebay) and they quoted me about $800. Trailer comes to your home and that's it.
The buyer ended up flying up and driving it back to Florida an hour later!
Guess he saved himself $600...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #3

I ship cars from time to time. The rates fluctuate based on fuel costs at the time of shipment, open or closed transport and whether or not the car is running and driving. An open transport for a running car should run between $800 - $1,000. Personally, I would pay a couple hundred dollars extra to have the car brought by closed carrier. I recently had a car brought to me from Sacramento CA through bad weather. When it got here, it was completely covered with sand, dirt and pebbles. Every crack and crevice was packed with the stuff. I'm still finding debris in the hard to reach places.

Try your best to find a company that will take your car directly from point A to point B. There are a lot of transportation brokers out there who will switch your car from truck to truck in order to get it where it needs to be. Each time the car is off-loaded and re-loaded is another opportunity for damage, and less of a chance that you'll ever know who was responsible.

Believe it or not, Fed-Ex recently got into the auto transport game and they have reasonable rates.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #4

Intercity, a noted vehicle transportation service, offers free rate quotes on their website. It takes some time (like, you might have to wait till the office opens) but I got a quote within 12 hours from request.

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote