Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #1

Cool Just bit the bullet

My 1995 Acura NSX was getting a little long in the tooth I've just done the deal on a cherry condition 2004 Boxster S 50th Anniversary Edition!!!!!

The car is several thousand miles from me right now, but I'm so excited that I don't think I'll be able to sleep until it arrives. Wow, that's all I can think. I remember thinking how sweet those were when they came out and now I'm getting one.

This all started a few weeks ago when I decided the NSX was going to have to go. I'll never get any more money for it than I can right now and it was becoming less and less practical. I've had it for four years, so I didn't feel too bad letting it go. I had never driven a 986 but I have driven the Cayman and the 987, both of which I like but can't quite afford. Last week I drove an '04 S and really liked it; I'm assuming the anniversary edition will just be more of what I like. I had to go test drive an '04 M3 one more time to make sure, but I think that the M3 just isn't a sports car. It's fast and has tons of grip but it's a herky-jerky kind of thing without much in the way of road feel. It may be a few 10ths faster than the Boxster, but it doesn't feel earth shatteringly fast. My pop's Hennessey viper is fast, the M3 is just marginally quicker than it needs to avoid being an also-ran.

I've had two other roadsters starting in 2001. I had an '01 Miata with the "sport package" which was a sweet ride for the time. A year later, I drove a Z3 2.5i and it was just like a faster more lux Miata. I loved that car, got the bmw aero-kit (which is extremely rare), and had it specced up to a Dinan signature car. I can't believe I actually sold it, but the NSX was in a different league. Ultimately, I missed my German cars (I also had a '99 E46 323i and more recently an '06 Jetta Diesel DSG).

This Boxster anniversary is quite literally a dream Porsche for me. I can't wait for it to get here!

Matt

Slashmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
boggtown

How much did you sell the nsx for?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #3

Congratulations Matt
alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
How much did you sell the nsx for?
Still for sale. Looking for about $39k. It's a pretty special NSX. It's got the shocks/springs from the Japanese '02+ NSX-R and a couple other very high end upgrades. Plus, I had every possible problem area resolved on the car and that will run the buyer of an average '91-'01 over $15k in parts and labor.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #5

Is that the twin-turbo Hennessey Viper with 1000hp? That thing is MAD. Congrats on driving in the closest street-legal machine to an aircraft carrier catapult launch!

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #6

No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
Is that the twin-turbo Hennessey Viper with 1000hp? That thing is MAD. Congrats on driving in the closest street-legal machine to an aircraft carrier catapult launch!

-David
It's a more mild 650HP
Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #7

David N this is an NSX different year but same car.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #8

Ohioboxster, I think he was asking about the Viper that the OP's dad owns, lol
Old 02-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Ohioboxster, I think he was asking about the Viper that the OP's dad owns, lol
Ok, I guess Im lost. Dont know who OP is or his dad.
Just figured it out, duh sorry.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #10

It happens when your mind is occupied by other things like that beautiful car in your garage.

Forgot to welcome you to the family of Boxster owners Welcome!
Old 02-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #11

Slash, just curious how did the 04 boxster S feel compared to the NSX? Both being mid-engined and similar in power I was wanting to hear a comparison since I've never driven an NSX. Obvioulsy, you liked the boxster more, but I would like to hear some driving impressions.

Last edited by Adam; 02-24-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #12

I'll miss her a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Slash, just curious how did the 04 boxster S feel compared to the NSX? Both being mid-engined and similar in power I was wanting to hear a comparison since I've never driven an NSX. Obvioulsy, you liked the boxster more, but I would like to hear some driving impressions.
The NSX is a great car, there's no doubt about that. However, the thing that won me over about the Boxster is that when I drive a Boxster (or just about any other roadster), I feel like I "own" the car. The Boxster is very exploitable. Overall the NSX and Boxster have very similar capabilities, but I believe the NSX's platform was never meant to have so little power. The NSX feels like an underpowered supercar. The Boxster S feels like a complete package. If I had the money to supercharge an '02+ NSX, I would do it in a heartbeat. It would be a true Ferrari fighter at that point.

I don't know, I could go on and on about some of the "magical" NSX experiences like the 8000RPM redline and the superb jet-fighter like view of the road, but then I'd also have to mention that the car has about 30 ft.lb. less torque than the Boxster and weighs about 250lb more.

Mostly, my NSX was getting old and I was sick of having it in the shop for long periods of time. I wanted better brakes, more power, and a fresh 6-speed transmission. With that, the car would have been a true supercar, without it, I'd rather have a roadster with similar capabilities.

I'm under the impression that the Boxster, in my hands, will be more fun on the road and on the track than my NSX was.

My NSX was a Targa (well T since Porsche holds the trademark for Targa) and it was never quite as solid as I thought it could be. The Boxster feels like a piece of iron forged by Thor himself. Then again, I prefer my Colnago Italian steel bike to the Litespeed titanium I used to ride.

It's funny, two cars with such similar capabilities seem to be totally different beasts. That happens a lot. Think M3 vs Evo. Which one would you drive? Well, I'd drive the EVO, it suits my driving style more. Viper vs. Z06, I'll take the Z06. Ferrari 575M vs. Ford GT, I'll take the Ferrari. 911 Turbo vs. Ferrari 360, Ferrari again. I've driven all of these cars on pretty much the same roads outside west Houston. Cars really are really a matter of suiting your taste to your budget.

I could have gotten an '06 Evo, '04 M3, '05 Corvette, '00 911, '98 Viper or kept my '95 NSX (plus a ton of other options). My sports car is not my only car, so I've got a lot of leeway in my decision making. I guess I'm just a sucker for roadsters. The only times, since I started buying sports cars, that I strayed was when I bought the C55 AMG and the NSX. The C55 didn't seem like a worthy NSX replacement, so I sold it before the NSX was sold. We'll see how the Boxster does...

I think it will do very well. As I said before, this specific car is a "best of breed" dream car and I'm looking forward to a nice long run with it. I know I've had an NSX and an AMG Benz, but I honestly believe this Boxster will be the nicest car I've ever owned.

By the way, I will and do miss owning an NSX, the NSX community is very solid and I have a lot of great contacts and buddies that'll probably think I'm insane now.

Last edited by Slashmatt; 02-24-2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Add NSX Image
Old 02-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #13

Nice checkdown on your experience with the NSX. I think the Boxster does have the advantage when it comes to just general driving tightness and road feel. I've always thought of the NSX as being really underpowered, and honestly not really deserving of the supercar title for the money. But you make a good point about the visibility I've never thought of. It probably 'feels' more like a supercar just sitting it in and driving (just not accelerating).

Ironically tho I wouldn't be happy with a underpowered fun car unless it was at least a convertible (which is the Boxster..honestly). If I'm going to get a coupe, I'd want corvette power or better to make that roof worthwhile.

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:58 AM   #14

Slash-

Welcome and congrats. Put up some pics of your 986 when you can.

Jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #15

Hey, slash! Welcome to the forum, where no one would bash you for owning a NSX...

Now, where the picture?
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #16

Pictures come when I get the car. It's in Detroit right now. I'm in Texas. It has to be shipped.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #17

This car was tested and developed by 3 time World Champion Ayrton Senna before his shocking death in 1994
So its bit of history on four wheels.

(Suzuka, no helmet)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=izaWlKxVo1A
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
This car was tested and developed by 3 time World Champion Ayrton Senna before his shocking death in 1994
So its bit of history on four wheels.

(Suzuka, no helmet)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=izaWlKxVo1A
Yep, I'm quite aware of the history. The NSX was actually one of the earliest cars to be developed using Nurburgring testing. Believe it or not, the stock suspension is actually quite floaty on the NSX though. On the other hand, the NA2 NSX-R suspension that was on mine is unbelieveably harsh.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #19

Okay, I'll share the pictures now

E-Bay Listing of the car I bought

I really wasn't thinking it was a good idea to advertise the auction I was bidding on while the action was in progress.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #20

Slash, it looks like you are truly getting a great car there. The 04 anniversary is the best of the 986 "breed." The sport seats and special steering wheel make me jealous. Love those grey Carrera wheels and the hp bump is nice too. Enjoy!

Last edited by Adam; 02-28-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote