Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
hts

Help with an order?

Well, I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Boxster and just wanted to run my planned order by the board for any last minute advice. Never owned a P-car before, but I'm going to be 41 this year, I'm putting on weight around my mid-section, and my hair is starting to fall out, so I figured this would be as good a time as any to go through my mid-life crisis. This is what I'm leaning toward as of today:

2007 Meteor Gray/Black Std Lthr 6-spd
Auto climate control
Rim Crest
Htd front seats
Bixenon
Remote CD chgr
PCM w/Nav
Self-Dim Mirrors w/rain sensor
Bose
Power seats package
Mats

My local dealer has this car on the boat arriving on/about March 1st (just in time for Spring). Any last-minute thoughts/suggestions before I finalize with a deposit?

TIA,

hts

hts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
blkboxster

looks GReat are you getting it from HBL by any chance?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #3

I assume you're getting a base?

If yes, then you're paying $2,680 for the six speed plus PASM in the Sport Pack. My 06 S has PASM and the six-speed obviously, my 05 base had the 5 and no PASM and I don't think was lacking for it. $2,680 could possibly be better deployed.

I also assume you're getting the Preferred Package Plus, which doesn't include the CD changer on the base. I think the changer, which isn't cheap, becomes superfluous with PCM in that you can burn more mp3 files in data format on one cd than you could house in a multi-disc changer.

Porsche also took out the wind-deflector from PPP in 07, and in my opinion, purchasing a 987 without a wind deflector would be a serious mistake. This can be added afterwards, but I would suggest the approach of negotiating the wind-deflector onto a due-bill ("for free") when the car arrives.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:36 PM   #4

Entirely up to you – however you order this thing, it is going to be a great car. The options do add up quickly though.

My .02:

I would consider the Bose essential as it seems to be the general consensus that sound quality sucks on the lesser stereo offerings.

The Xenons are nice – you might be driving fast, and good lights are a must

Auto Climate control and Nav were options I thought I could do without and saved quite a bit of money – especially nav gets expensive. My $500 Garmin works great and I can move it to the wife’s car, rental cars, etc…

Also, I did not opt for the 6 speed. At least for 2005, the gearing between the two were almost identical through gear 4, then fifth gear in the 5 speed was very similar to 6th gear in the 6 speed – basically the same ratios throughout, but the 6 speed offered an extra acceleration gear way up high. I figured without the autobahn nearby and the fact that my car would see little track time, I wouldn’t even notice missing that one gear.

let us know what you wind up doing - and congrats on your purchase!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Porsche also took out the wind-deflector from PPP in 07, and in my opinion, purchasing a 987 without a wind deflector would be a serious mistake. This can be added afterwards, but I would suggest the approach of negotiating the wind-deflector onto a due-bill ("for free") when the car arrives.
This is a very good point

Old 02-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
hts

Thanks for the tips guys--pls keep 'em coming!

Yes, it's an S, and even though the print-out I have doesn't show it, I think I'm getting the preferred package plus, or something like that. I definitely do want to make sure I get the wind-guard thing (even though I prefer the look of the open space between the roll-over headrest thingies).

I am getting it from HBL, and it's a 2-year lease.

Any more thoughts/suggestions?!

Thanks,

hts
hts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts

I am getting it from HBL, and it's a 2-year lease.

Any more thoughts/suggestions?!

Thanks,

hts
My only other thought is that you probably won't want to give it up after 2 years.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #8

Get the Sport Steering Wheel if possible.

I regret not getting it

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #9

The car you're ordering is very "standard" other than the PCM. I don't mean this in a demeaning way but to infer that there is no customization in your list and I would imagine that there are many 987s on dealer lots or on the boat optioned with PPP. Therefore you could probably find one NOW, should you so desire and possibly secure a better deal on a car that a dealer currently has in inventory.

FYI, PCM, which as I mentioned is your only variable can now be retro-fitted to any model, so you shouldn't consider lack thereof to be a disqualifier when you're doing your search. I would imagine that many dealers would do the after-build install for the cost of the "part of build" option to secure your order.

Obviously there is a great deal of customization that can be done and responses to the"what do you think" question inevitably become an exercise in other 987 owners chiming in with their favorite option, which we do on this board about every 12 days.

I didn't list mine, but in terms of most value-add , my list after owning two 987s would include:

TPMS (now standard in 07)
Wind deflector
Bi-xenon
Roll bar in exterior color
Chrome exhaust tip
Heated seats

Kit that I have/had, that would not make my value-add list include:
PASM
Six-speed
Center console interior color
Bose

I have no experience with the PCM.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts
Well, I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Boxster and just wanted to run my planned order by the board for any last minute advice. Never owned a P-car before, but I'm going to be 41 this year, I'm putting on weight around my mid-section, and my hair is starting to fall out, so I figured this would be as good a time as any to go through my mid-life crisis. This is what I'm leaning toward as of today:

2007 Meteor Gray/Black Std Lthr 6-spd
Auto climate control
Rim Crest
Htd front seats
Bixenon
Remote CD chgr
PCM w/Nav
Self-Dim Mirrors w/rain sensor
Bose
Power seats package
Mats

My local dealer has this car on the boat arriving on/about March 1st (just in time for Spring). Any last-minute thoughts/suggestions before I finalize with a deposit?

TIA,

hts
Just got my new 987, so the ordering process (and agonizing over options is familiar to me...)

heated seats are a must, if anything is, in a Roadster - no matter where you live in this country, there can always be cool nights at least. Mats - of course...wheel crests - of course...

Xenons - definitely worth it if you plan on doing any long night drives through the countryside - and who wouldn't?

Bose - well, if it's a decent upgrade over the SPP, then yes, but otherwise no. After 3 days in the car, I can think of things I'd rather have spent the money on than that sound system "upgrade" - like the painted rear center console?

auto climate control - nice on a coupe, not as important on a roadster it seems to me - the standard system seems to work pretty intelligently.

Power seats seem totally superfluous to me.

Cd changer - useless IMO if you have PCM w/nav since that's the system that can actually play mp3 cds- you could have 130 or so tracks per disc. BUT - does the cd changer also play mp3 discs then? Then it's worth having, since the in dash player on the Boxster is always single disc, right? My GTI has a 6-disc in dash mp3 cd changer.

I like the sport sterring wheel I have too, but I'm sure it wouldn't take more than few minutes to get used to the stocker.

My dealer had a Meteor GT3 they were delivering - really nice color...

Last edited by John Y; 02-22-2007 at 02:47 PM.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #11

I would recommend looking into this thread for more advice:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9624