Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 06:36 AM   #1

Mesh Grills??

I've been looking around trying to figure out where people are getting their mesh grill covers. I see them on people's cars and think they look pretty sharp. Can anybody tell me where to get a set for my Box?

jsmithdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
boggtown

You mean like this....

I just cut out mesh and bondoed in it. You aint a thug without some grillz.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #3

A lot of people just use aluminum rain gutter mesh. You would have to remove your bumper, cut peices of the mesh, form it around the back/inside of the opening you want to cover, then epoxy it into place (paint it with chrome paint first if you want it to be more shiny... or paint to match the body... or paint it black... bare aluminum will oxidize and look flat and white after a while).

It's cheap stuff.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #4

Question same stuff?

I went to Home Depot and all I could find is the stuff used as underlay for ceramic installation. Looks o.k. Should I keep looking for the gutter mesh?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #5

Hi,

It'll be primarily for the aesthetic, which is OK. But, you still need to backflush the radiators every other year or so (depending upon your driving conditions) because the stuff which really clogs them isn't dead birds or ciggy butts, it's all the sand and grit you pick up from driving, which is so fine that it just shoots right through this mesh...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #6

Mine have the mesh grills because the PO got a rock in there from the road and it took out the A/C condensor. Since then, no problems. He got them at Vertex Automotive
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
boggtown

Mines a screen door protector that I cut the mesh out of. That mesh is a little harder and I felt it would hold up to the elements better.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #8

Can't find em

GA,
Your link takes me to Automotion, not Vertex. I couldn't find them in either place. Hmm, I may end up going to Home Depot after all. BTW, Jim what do you mean by "backflush"? I recently replaced my left radiator and found TONS of stuff in there from the previous owner. I used my shop vac to get as much of it off of the remaining radiator as possible. Is there a better way?
jsmithdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithdmd
GA,
Your link takes me to Automotion, not Vertex. I couldn't find them in either place. Hmm, I may end up going to Home Depot after all. BTW, Jim what do you mean by "backflush"? I recently replaced my left radiator and found TONS of stuff in there from the previous owner. I used my shop vac to get as much of it off of the remaining radiator as possible. Is there a better way?
Hi,

To do the job really right, you need to force high pressure water through the radiators in the reverse direction, so any dirt and debris can come out the way it got in. You could also use high pressure air, but water has the ability to dissolve mud, road salt, etc. where the air cannot. You need to remove the inner fender to gain access.

My Esprit is the same way, only harder. But, it's well worth it every couple years or so, because that gunk can really buildup in there and restrict the airflow. I found an air driven tool on ebay called a hand-held engine cleaner, it's basically a spraygun which works quite well.

Whatever you do, do not ever spray the radiators from the front, because you'll just wedge all that debris in there tighter. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-22-2007 at 05:37 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #10

How about a barbed wire grill? That would look really ghetto! Or maybe chicken wire?