Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #1

Unichip for Boxster "S" type models

http://www.unichip.us/

Found this a few days ago. Thought I would share. It's a simple plug-n-play, piggy back device. It's only availible for the Boxster S type models for the years 00-02. They have some dyno results to show also. Enjoy!

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #2

Unichip? I am skeptical about adding any type of universal upgrade. That includes exhausts as well.

If they don't know my car I can't trust their product.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Unichip? I am skeptical about adding any type of universal upgrade. That includes exhausts as well.

If they don't know my car I can't trust their product.
Did you even look at the web site? There are hundreds designed for specific makes and models. It's NOT a universal product. There are none for your 987 as of yet. Also, its for the TYPE "S" ONLY. Just wanted to let others know about it.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #4

Oh, good.

Just the name unichip made me go, "WTF YO?"
Old 02-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #5

Personally I think Unichip's on Porsches, Ferrari's etc are a waste of time really. Porsche spend millions on computer management to ensure that your car has the best compromise of performance and reliability. Unichips alter the fuel/timinng mapping of your car and they can also increrase the rev limit. Why you would want to do any of this and compomise reliability is beyond me.

There is definately a market for these things but not with expensive performance cars that were designed from the factory with perfomance in mind. The only real reason you would need to alter the management is if you whacked in a turbo or supercharger and in this case you would probably go for a full ECU solution like a Motec that can be tuned on a dyno for your car.

A lot of my freinds have experimented with UNichip (mostly jap cars) and I am yet to be convinced of any benefits. Some of them also resulted in a poor idle, running etc after the chip.
kouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouks
Personally I think Unichip's on Porsches, Ferrari's etc are a waste of time really. Porsche spend millions on computer management to ensure that your car has the best compromise of performance and reliability. Unichips alter the fuel/timinng mapping of your car and they can also increrase the rev limit. Why you would want to do any of this and compomise reliability is beyond me.

There is definately a market for these things but not with expensive performance cars that were designed from the factory with perfomance in mind. The only real reason you would need to alter the management is if you whacked in a turbo or supercharger and in this case you would probably go for a full ECU solution like a Motec that can be tuned on a dyno for your car.

A lot of my freinds have experimented with UNichip (mostly jap cars) and I am yet to be convinced of any benefits. Some of them also resulted in a poor idle, running etc after the chip.
Well the reason most people use a product like this is because your NOT going to get any use out of all those after martket bolt-ons like a cool air intake, headers, exaust, etc... without remaping the stock ECU. So if you like your stock Boxster and have NO added bolt-on performance upgrades, then sure by all means leave the factory ECU unchanged.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #7

In my opinion those bolt on add ons do not warrent an ECU change. How much cooler can you get the intake anyway, it's allready pretty good with a snorkel leading to a vent?

The only time you would need it is if you changed the profile of your CAMS etc, larger injectors, forced induction, significant changes to your engine, not bolt ons.

Unichip has been in Aus for a number of years now. The only applications they work well on are Turbo cars. This is because most Turbo cars are disigned from the factory to run rich at high RPM's to avoid detonation. The UNichip will map this out and result in significant power increases at high RPM. Obviously, ugrading to larger turbo's will also see a significant effect.

My point is that only significant changes in air/fuel mixtures would require you to change the ECU on your car.
kouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #8

The fact that you are buying a mass produced car means the company compromises much of the potential performance to cover all fields necessary for all buyers.

For us owners who want more of that potential performance, we have to do it ourselves.