Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2025, 09:39 PM   #441
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1
I have a 1997 986 Boxster… searching for a repair shop in or near Indianapolis, IN

Regards Andy Newman

Andy Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2026, 09:41 AM   #442
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2026
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 1
For a 1997 Boxster, it’s worth finding an independent Porsche specialist rather than a general mechanic, since they’ll have better experience with common issues on that model. Checking local forums and recent reviews can help narrow it down. While arranging service, some owners also mention options like FS Premier Transport for moving their cars safely if needed.
michaeljamesromt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2026, 02:04 PM   #443
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2025
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by first987 View Post
2005 Boxster base, 47k miles.

Planning to replace clutch and IMS in the next few months.

Would like to compare a few LA area Porsche mechanics.
Price sensitive... not looking for a $6,000 job.
I live in Sherman Oaks and I have been looking for one as well and so far they are all pretty expensive with varying degrees of claimed expertise. Also they just don't get amped up about working on old cars like a Boxster. Unless it's a 911 or the kind of car and owner with money falling out other pockets they make a lot of assumptions and prejudices. Since you know what you need done at least you aren't looking for diagnostics. That's where things falls apart and you get hosed at even the best places. Sadly I haven't found anyone I am comfortable recommending yet. If I do will let ya know if I do.

For now I am just doing my own wrenching.

Powerslave65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page