Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2023, 02:00 PM   #1

Replaced fuel filler valve, what next?

Hello all, I noticed for the last few months that my car was becoming reluctant to fill the tank, seemed like I was getting to 3/4 on the gauge at best. Some searching here led me to think the fuel filler valve was the most likely cause, and I replaced it a few days ago.

Got the car up to a bit over 7/8ths on the gauge the next fill up, but that was topping off enough to spill a bit. I don't generally do the topping off bit, not sure how bad it actually is for the charcoal canister but definitely don't like the spills. Unfortunately this means I'm not actually sure if it was a bad valve or just a bad seal on the fuel nozzle, but it doesn't happen with the other cars I drive, and I figured it wasn't a bad choice to replace the valve.

Is there another part likely to cause incomplete filling? I don't know what to search for, all the terms and phrases I came up with just pointed back to the same valve. Kind of hoping it's not a replacement sending unit as the next step.

Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:43 PM   #2

Have you tried rotating the nozzle so it’s pointing up when filling and also depressing the nozzle one notch to slow the amount of fuel going in?
RL911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 03:38 PM   #3

It could be any number of things. FWIW mine turned out to be the canister. My indy also initially thought it was the filler neck vent but once he had the car in the shop found out that wasn't it. You could try taking the canister out of the circuit and attempt to fill the tank. Be forewarned that fuel fumes normally burnt in the engine and the hazard they present will be there.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:58 PM   #4

Thanks clickman, I'll let it be for a few tanks to get a feel for any changes and then might try that next.

RL911, yes I did, but I hadn't been doing that before, and it hadn't been having trouble filling, so something mechanical likely happened.

Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote