Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #1

Odd Question

Ok about three weeks ago i got the bodykit i had removed . The problem is that bodyshop molded the kit to the car. When he removed it it seems that there was some glue and alittle paint on top of the orginal paint on the body. Now the body guy removed the glue but i am so frustrated with him tha ti can not bring it back to him for the paint . I was wondering there i wet sand it or use something else. It is not overspray but actual silver paint that is actually seen by the naked eye. The paint is uneven in the areas where the side skirt met with the body . So i am trying to think that wet sanding it with a certain # will remove it and then i will buff it out.

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
boggtown

If it is on top of the clear, wet sanding could in theory do it, but using an orbital buffer with rubbing compound is a lot safer. Try that first. Dont get to much cut in your compound. Go for a light to medium cut at most. Have you tried clay baring first though?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:10 AM   #3

it is acutal paint as if u painted your bumper and then the paint chips away and you can see the old (orginal paint) well that is what is my situation and it has like the uneven edge . What is # wet sand paper i can use. The compound may not even cut through it. Since it has clear and paint so it's probably sealed .
Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Travis
I used 1400 grit wet sandpaper to polish up the clear coat after I paint, I would suggest to practice on a piece of the old bodykit that was removed.

I had a Aerokit put on mine, so it gave me a bumper to practice on (underside) before I attempted to touch-up the nicks on my back bumper, after you wet sand you will end up with a white patchy looking area that will buff out after you put your polish on. But do it in stages, do not try to remove it all at one time or you risk going to deep.

just my .02
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:44 PM   #5

sounds good.. I have a list of things i got to do when the spring hits. I just drove around in 17 degree weather in nj. The car breaths better in the cold and smooth.