Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #1

drove my first american car today

So I wanted to drive a 'Vette. I went down to the dealership and they gave me no problems. Very nice service and nice people.

So let me start out w/ what I like:

- I love the power. It is great and the sound is so much different than my car. Very throaty sound.

- I love the clutch operation and mechanical feel. My car's clutch is hydraulically assisted so there is not much feel.

- Gains traction very quickly when flooring it in first.

- I love the crappy interior. Means the car is not weighed down by useless junk.

- Comfortable seating.

Now for what I am not sure about....

- I can't even tell what gear I'm in sometimes. The gears are so scrunched together on the H pad that 4th seems exactly like 6th and 5th seems exactly like 3rd. It was hard to pick what direction to move the shifter.

- Very hard to shift gears. Requires a big thrust from your wrists. Not necessarily a bad thing, but could definitely become a pain in the butt. Not sure, though.

- Everything is operated by a button or remote use. There's no key hole even and the e-brake is even operated by a button somewhere when parking! This is a minor detail I can deal with lol

- Low redline? Lol, joking. There really is nothing else I dislike about the car. It's great.

I didn't get a chance to test the brakes. The brakes on my car are phenomenal, probably some of the best brakes in a production car.

I didn't get a chance to test the handling at all. I have no clue how it handles. I don't track or anything YET, so it doesn't need to be superb. I expect it to handle a lot worse than my Boxster, but not so horribly that I can't rip turns a fast speeds.

At first I was thinking, "Hmmm, it doesn't feel THAT much faster than my car in low gear." My thoughts were quickly silenced when I got back into my car and tried the very same thing as I did in the 'Vette, and my car felt so damn slow. I couldn't believe how slow I felt. I realized my car is just a completely different animal.

The corvette humbled me.

I hope to own one of these babies some day soon. VROOOOOMMMM!!!!

I'm hungry for some good old American BEEF

What are your thoughts?

Old 02-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
o yea, well its pretty much a production drag car, it hauls ass, wher the boxster has none of that, so if someone is looking to ro and rape all the ricers in something, this wold be a very good choice, and hp/$ upgrades are pretty much free compared to boxster, even thought its weird to even say that you need to upgrade a 500hp car, lol.
i had a 412hp car, and it was awesome, but i wuld slow down to a 15 to just take a turn, scary ****************, but off the line there nothing better than guttd american musle car.

glad u liked it,
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
kls

I was at the Portland car show a few weeks ago and, as always, looking for the next dream car. I sat in a corvette and it had a feel of excitement that I didn't get from anything else there. I had a '67 vette in the 70's and it was fine, but I've not been a big fan of Chevy's since then. Just sitting in the vette made me think I could try it again. From everything I've read the new vette is no slouch in the handling department either. The Consumer Reports article on dream cars gave the 911 top honors, but the vette was very close, and much cheaper.
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #4

Hi,

I think the C6 and especially the Z06 are World Class. Lots of import guys still won't give them the respect they truly deserve though...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #5

Smile

The C6 has so much torque it pretty much doesn't matter what gear you are in.

Anyway, the 6 speed click shifter is the bomb. I would buy that if I were in the market over rowing the gears.

Great car, great price.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #6

Bavarian, was it a C6? Your post didn't say. I'm guessing it was from your post since C5's can be bought for next to nothing these days. I have to echo what Bruce says about the torque, it just goes no matter what gear you are in. I spent about 10hrs of seat time behind the wheel of a 05 C6 and it was fun but I'm still keeping the boxster S. I must say I liked the power though...plus it had a better shift feel than my boxster.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #7

I've instructed in a couple of C4 Vettes over the years. Lots of Torque/Power but ****************ty brakes.

I've instructed in a few C5 vettes. Much better than the C4s. Better brakes (but still not "porsche" brakes, better handling, sterring feel and shifting.

Haven't driven a C6 Vette, or a Z06, but they can only be better overall.

One feature I truly hate on the Vettes is the 1-4 shift lock out. Unless you really mash the pedal in first, the computer makes you upshift to 4th instead of second. On the other hand, the motors have so much torque that on the street its hardly an issue, but an annoyance on the track.

For me though, they (vettes) just don't do it. Too big (wide, heavy) and none of the delicate balance and feel that my Porsches have spoiled me for. The new regular C6's have so much performance potential, that it takes a skilled driver to feel comfortable at their limits. Yes, they are faster than your Boxster and may cost about the same. Not sure they are better.. just different!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #8

I think I like the C5 over the C6 in looks....the C6 ditched the pop up headlights and that is such a vette thing....

The C4, quite possibly the worst breaks ever!!!!

I came close to getting a yellow C5 convertible witha black top....maybe the C6 will grow on me over time....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #9

I have never driven a C6 but I drove my cousin's C5 and compared to my Boxster it's a bomb, I like it a lot but it's not the same feel as a boxster I just feel more connected to the road in my Boxster. I read a lot of reviews about the C6 Vette and as per MNBOXSTER'S quote it doesn't get the respect it deserves. Compared to some high end european cars I think it's one hell of a bargain.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #10

Actually, the C6 is not that heavy. Feels big next to a Boxster but actually quite agile.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #11

Smile

Corvette C6 is about 200lbs more than Boxster I believe.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #12

Sorry guys.

Yes it was a c6.

I believe 987 Boxster S brakes are slightly better than the Vette brakes, 107 ft from 60-0 as opposed to 110. Both very good.

The standard c6 uses an old fashioned leaf spring suspension, but there are 3 different suspension options, one of which is the z51 which also upgrades the brakes so I hear.

The Boxster and C6 are different animals. It certainly does not have that roadster feel to it. You know, the agility and confinement all in one.

I feel that I identify w/ both cars in a way. I enjoy massive power which, in any other car, would come at an extremely high price tag, but I love the refinement and precision of my Boxster.

To get both of these in one, I'd probably have to spend 100k+ on a European exotic.

But what if... I got a c6 and put a few thousand into suspension mods. Then a few thousand into bolt-ons and I have a Ferrari 360 at my fingertips.

I am really wanting one of these. The Boxster is a lease, so I'm stuck w/ it (not that that's a bad thing) but I am still going to buy one of these.

I'm still slightly torn between the vette and the elise. I prefer the elise but my dad and stepmother think it's too dangerous... Gotta hate parents sometimes.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #13

stereo types

Corvettes would be cool if it weren't for their owners.....tis a shame.
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #14

- I love the crappy interior. Means the car is not weighed down by useless junk
- Bavarian Motorist
Your right it's useful junk.
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn box s
Come on. Let's not generalize.

I went to the corvetteforums a lot today and they were really helpful, nice people, just like the people here are.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn box s
Porsches would be cool if it weren't for some their owners.....tis a shame.

Last edited by Adam; 02-11-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #17

As an everyday ride the boxster blows the vet out of the water. Try it for a couple of weeks.
airboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #18

I've spent alot of time both on the street and track in my friends C5 Z06 and I will say its a hell of a car. I've briefly driven a C6 Z06 and that thing is a monster. They're both completely different driving experiences, and I do prefer the Porsche, but for a track car, I'd be all over a Z06 with a few mods and be raping 996 Turbos and F430s, so you really cant argue with the value....

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
o yea, well its pretty much a production drag car, it hauls ass, wher the boxster has none of that, so if someone is looking to ro and rape all the ricers in something, this wold be a very good choice,
I've spent a bit of time in C5 and C5 Z06 cars. Obviously both cars are significantly faster in a straight line than a Boxster or Boxster S.

But they will also positively rape a Boxster around an autocross course or open track. The suspension on C5s and C6s is fully adjustable front and rear for camber. They don't require a lot of static camber to handle well, because the suspension was properly designed to have an excellent camber curve (you can't say that about a Boxster). The ride height is adjustable from the factory. The cars are set up very well for track and autocross work, right out of the box. In fact, the factory goes so far as to recommend alignment settings for track, autocross, and street. Pretty cool.

The C5 is a car that initially feels very large, but its quick steering, fast responses and forgiving nature make it feel much smaller and immediately inspire confidence. Once moving quickly, they feel light, small and nimble. A C5 Z06 is only 3050lbs, pretty close to a Boxster S weight (mine is 3000lbs on the nose, 2960 with the fancy wheels). They are fantastic handling cars.

The one area where they are really lacking is in handling FEEL. Somehow Chevy hasn't found a way to acheive the wonderful steering feel and chassis feedback of a Boxster. Supposedly, the C6 was a step in the wrong direction in this regard, but again I haven't driven one.

If they can fix that for the C7 and keep the weight in check, it will be my next car. If I hadn't bought my Boxster for competition purposes, I'd own a C6.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:13 AM   #20

my two cents:
apples and oranges really...
for the track I'll take a c6 or zo6 over any Porsche any day of the week.

But we don't live on the track do we?

The peformance of the car is world class as proven in Sports Car racing but the styling and wheels are still disappointing and stuck in the 90's. The performance to match any Ferrari yet it looks inferior when parked next to a F430 or 360.
The interior of the Z06 is vastly better and I actually prefer it to the newer stuff from Porsche but c6 still needs lots of work. It still screams 'rental car'. And not to mention the "gold chain" driver stigma.
Ford was able to make the Ford GT look truly exotic so it is possible in America. Can't understand why Chevy still can't get it right. I'd be pissed if I were an engineer over there. All that work to make it perform and the design guys are five steps behind.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote