Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #41
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
Blue,
The Carrera is a 2002.
The 2002 Carrera and Carrera 4 had the same gear ratios and final drive as the Boxster S from at least 2000-2003.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #42

Blue,
Does that go for the C4S as well? That is the model to which I am referring.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #43
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
Blue,
Does that go for the C4S as well? That is the model to which I am referring.
The standard ratios for the 4s were also the same.

There's all kinds of useless information like that here:

http://www.supercarsite.net/
Old 03-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #44
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinijazz
Sure you can downshift from 6th to 4th at higher speed. (other gears for that matter) The question is how effectively it can be done consistent basis and the degree of stress your car has to suffer. Maybe it's not required on paper(still I wouldn't say it redundant), but it's the reality, day to day driving experience, which tells the truth. Like everything else, to each own, but I definately use my 5th a lot in highway driving.
It does more damage to your car to try to accelerate from a low engine speed than to downshift and accelerate from mid-range. If you can downshift correctly, there is no damage to the transmission. If you're really concerned about it, you could double-clutch and not even use the syncros.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #45

Ok, so if one feels the gearing it too long, how can you go about changing it?
I have a 2000 S and feel that all of the gears are too long.

option 1. crack open transmission and change specific gears. sounds expensive!!

option 2. change gearing in rear differential to lower the final drive ratio. sounds cheaper and easier. anyone know of any place that sells the parts to do this?

option 3. upgrade to 3.4l or 3.6l obviously doesn't change the gearing but maybe those motors are more suited to the gearing of the S?
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #46
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humara
Ok, so if one feels the gearing it too long, how can you go about changing it?
I have a 2000 S and feel that all of the gears are too long.

option 1. crack open transmission and change specific gears. sounds expensive!!

option 2. change gearing in rear differential to lower the final drive ratio. sounds cheaper and easier. anyone know of any place that sells the parts to do this?

option 3. upgrade to 3.4l or 3.6l obviously doesn't change the gearing but maybe those motors are more suited to the gearing of the S?
option 4: put on smaller diameter wheels/tires. This will mess up your speedometer, odometer and probably the ABS and tracition control systems.

I think that just about covers the options.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
option 4: put on smaller diameter wheels/tires. This will mess up your speedometer, odometer and probably the ABS and tracition control systems.

I think that just about covers the options.
was my question that dumb? did i offend anyone with it? or are you just messing with me for some reason? honestly that is the worst post i've seen on just about any board. ever. really. and wtf is tracition? is it like traction?
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #48
boxsterz

I like the 6, loafing around on flats at 1,700rpm. Usually skip 2nd and 4th. And when I feel the urge, run the gears up through that wonderful shriek at 6,000 rpm.

Some say 1, 2 are too tall, if so, it will be perfect once I get the TT on
Old 09-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #49

5th gear someday

The usefulness of 5th gear should be apparent at 120 mph, 18 seconds after you squeal out on your run to your maximum speed of 165 (3.2L 987 S). I don't do this often - or at all so far - but I'll want it when I do.

Sixth gear is great for boring driving at 60: quiet, smooth, easy on the engine, and (dare I say it?) 35 mpg.

Anybody know how long of a straight empty road do you need to get to 165 and then stop?

Can you get to this speed at a raceway like Portland Intl in Oregon?

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:55 AM   #50
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humara
was my question that dumb? did i offend anyone with it? or are you just messing with me for some reason? honestly that is the worst post i've seen on just about any board. ever. really. and wtf is tracition? is it like traction?
Maybe you don't understand the answer. Changing tire diameter will effectively shorten gearing, creating the same effect as changing the final drive ratio. However, the computer system and speedometer/odometer "expect" a given diameter.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #51
Pat

A lot of people talk about the Boxster having the same ratios as a Carerra, althought the Boxster has less power. People somehow think this means the gears are too tall in the Boxster. I would encourage people to look at power to weight ratios, not just raw power figures, when discussing gearing. I think that is much more relavent.
Who knows the power to weight ratio of each car?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #52
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
A lot of people talk about the Boxster having the same ratios as a Carerra, althought the Boxster has less power. People somehow think this means the gears are too tall in the Boxster. I would encourage people to look at power to weight ratios, not just raw power figures, when discussing gearing. I think that is much more relavent.
Who knows the power to weight ratio of each car?
It depends on the year, lets look at 2000, since that's what I've got:

Boxster S: 2900 lbs/250hp=11.6lb/hp
Carrera 2: 3100 lbs/295hp=10.5lb/hp
Old 09-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #53
Pat

In raw power numbers, the Carerra has an 18% advantage.
In power to weight numbers, the Carerra has a 9.5% advantage.
The way I see it, the difference is about half of what people really think it is based on power alone.
I'm not saying I think the gearing is good or bad, just pointing out something it seemed people hadn't considered.