Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #1

If you get litronics make sure no bulbs are burntout...

i recently picked up some litronics for my boxster and as it would happen, a bulb was burnt out, one of the little parking light ones, no bigger than one joint of my pinky....

well, apparently even this small one is a hid bulb and so it ended up costing me $17 at a local napa....

i'm know it's because its a hid bulb and i would have guessed it would be more expensive because of that but it was quite a surprise nonetheless...

i'm just thankful it wasnt one of the headlight bulbs instead.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #2

Where did you get them? I've been looking for awhile and I'd just like to get my hands on a set for less than a grand.
jsmithdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #3

i had been looking for some myself which i mentioned to my mechanic and he came across a used set for me.

if i hadn't l lucked out i would have probably just got them new at Suncoast Motorsports as they have them on sale for $1400 right now.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #4

Not sure what you mean by "HID bulb" as there is only HID "bulb" in those assemblies (the low beam). The highs and fogs are halogen, and the city lights are a normal bulb (still not cheap perhaps, but certainly not HID).

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:28 AM   #5

Can he get more?

Hey IDHeaton,
If your mechanic can get a hold of another pair I'm interested!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #6

I agree with BMWM750. The only 'HID bulbs' in the Litronics are the low beams. The high beams, fog lights and 'city lights' (the little bulb) are standard halogen bulbs.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #7

i think it must be the city bulb then, if thats the little one that lights up in the housing when you turn on the parking lights.

I guess I confused the matter because:
  1. The parts guy's reference to hid when he spoke about the bulb (he must have just meant it was for the hid headlight unit as opposed to the halogen headlight unit)
  2. This bulb is different from its counterpart in the set of halogen headlights I replaced
  3. A normal bulb this small shouldn't cost $17 ... but then again I guess it's a matter of what is considered normal.... hid, halogen or simple filament....

anyway...check those bulbs ...

jsmithdmd - I will check with him and let you know if he comes across any.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #8

Thanks idheaton!