Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 06:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
PorscheKid, I only saw ONE key in those photos. I'd write $300 off the final negotiated price for the amount you'll spend getting a spare one made with a couple of bucks to offset the pain in the arse it will be.

Where do all these Pcar keys go anyway? eBay?
Haha. He did have two keys, although no valet key like my Box has.

But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #22

That is one beautiful 911, Porschekid !

Make sure to let us know what you decide...

Good luck !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #23

Yeah, I would pull the trigger on that one - the car looks sweet in the pics.

While I respect the other responses regarding the swap as poor logic, I maintain that this hobby of ours is all about emotion.

If you are like me, having drooled over 911s since your earliest memories and discovered the Boxster as a stepping stone on the way to that ultimate goal, this might be a good move for you.

Maybe I don't drive as aggressively on the streets as some others, but the "step down" in handling would probably not be noticed at all by me as I really don't explore the outer limits of vehicles of this caliber. The lifelong love of the 911 though would be gratified by the swap.

Good luck - either way you win. They are both amazing cars.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #24

Talking 911 vs. Boxster

I myself considered trading my Boxster in for a 911. My reason was I wanted more power. I love my Boxster, but was starting to get bored of the power of my 2.5L. I agree, to each is his/her own, but for me the 3.4L swap was the best thing I did as now I love the car even more. 911 is a great car, an icon, but for me I love the Boxster's mid engine layout, 2 seat, top down etc. I got to take a 996 C4 for a ride before I bought my Boxster and loved the power of the C4 and just the way a Porsche drives and sounds. Now I have the best of both worlds. In the end, the swap was less expensive with lower kms & of course a naturally aspirated engine and reliability. A 911 that would have costs the same on average had higher kms. Plus, the Boxster with its layout and lighter weight, make the Boxster with a 3.4L a blast to drive. A great balance, that is the word for it!!! Yes, some will say it is not a 911 still, but for me, I don't care, I love my Boxster and everytime I look at her I smile. I have made it my own and there isn't one that looks like it that I have seen. In the end, you gots to love what u got to be satisfied.

3.4 L Engine
Re-Mapped ECU
Evo Intake
Dansk Headers
Schnell Sport Cats
GHL Exhaust
B&M Short Shifter
H&R Lowering Springs
Techart 18" Rims
Techart Rear Wing

Last edited by WillieB; 02-26-2007 at 10:39 PM.
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Looks like everyone needs to own a Z06 or a 911 Turbo to get the power bug out of their system (get bored by it) and start appreciating the finer things in cars. I haven't owned either but have driven a lot of high powered (300+) cars. There's so much more about a car than HP and kick-in-the butt acceleration -- same as a value of a house not being solely defined by the # of bedrooms or its sq footage.

Porschekid, nothing wrong with just getting the darn 911 and getting it out of your system. It's only a car, after all, and there will be others.

Z.
Excellent point.

In 1991 I traded in an 80' Ferrari 308GTSi (underpowered) for an 86' 930 Turbo for 2 reasons.....needed the back seats for newborn twins (the justification to the wife!) and wanted more power. In 2002 I bought a 2000 Carrera 2 Cab with 11,000kms on it. Very nice car but it felt more "Japanese" than my old 930 and the 993's I'd been in (but never owned) previously. That is not a slight to the car, just merely an observation. I enjoyed the Cab while I had it, excellent balance and performance but I felt something was missing.

I traded the Cab on a 2003 Corvette Z06 for "more power". I certainly got that. The car had awesome exceleration and handled amazingly well but it lacked that certain something....a "soul" if you will. I put 8,000kms on it without a stitch of trouble and did not hesitate a moment when I traded it in for a new "slower" 2007 987S. I can't describe it (the sense of being one with the car) but the Boxster has IT (the Ferrari had IT too...just needed a bit more HP). You need to drive the cars to understand. Power is nice but it certainly is not the be all and end all...trust me.

I think, on balance, the Boxster S may be the best Porsche out there. Apparently the March issue of GT Purely Porsche has a story about this very subject (2007 Boxster S). It is not on the newsstands where I live yet so I have not read it.
Middle Age Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #26

Dang, I was just at the Barnes and Noble and forgot to flip through the Purely Porsche. I'd be curious to read that article as a few other magazines have voted the CaymanS as the best handling Porsche sold today, albeit maybe the most over priced as well...

p.s.
I was also reading up on the Cayenne Turbo S and this one magazine trashed its accelaration saying that the $100K Porsche SUV was getting beaten off the line by the $40K domestic SUVs.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:39 AM   #27
1JB

I liked this car when you first posted and still do. Beautiful car with low mileage. See what you can negotiate them down to and go for it.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #28

How can 49K be considered low milage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5150
High milage?! Ha! Even my insurance company considers that low milage.....
Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Age Crazy
Excellent point.

In 1991 I traded in an 80' Ferrari 308GTSi (underpowered) for an 86' 930 Turbo for 2 reasons.....needed the back seats for newborn twins (the justification to the wife!) and wanted more power. In 2002 I bought a 2000 Carrera 2 Cab with 11,000kms on it. Very nice car but it felt more "Japanese" than my old 930 and the 993's I'd been in (but never owned) previously. That is not a slight to the car, just merely an observation. I enjoyed the Cab while I had it, excellent balance and performance but I felt something was missing.

I traded the Cab on a 2003 Corvette Z06 for "more power". I certainly got that. The car had awesome exceleration and handled amazingly well but it lacked that certain something....a "soul" if you will. I put 8,000kms on it without a stitch of trouble and did not hesitate a moment when I traded it in for a new "slower" 2007 987S. I can't describe it (the sense of being one with the car) but the Boxster has IT (the Ferrari had IT too...just needed a bit more HP). You need to drive the cars to understand. Power is nice but it certainly is not the be all and end all...trust me.

I think, on balance, the Boxster S may be the best Porsche out there. Apparently the March issue of GT Purely Porsche has a story about this very subject (2007 Boxster S). It is not on the newsstands where I live yet so I have not read it.
Thanks for that.

This was my concern when I went to test drive a Corvette.

I remember driving it and flooring it and...It moved. Man, it moved. But I didn't feel it moving. I didn't feel like I was going fast.

I love accelerating and thrills, but I worry it may not be so thrilling in a car like the Corvette.

I was MUCH more thrilled in a Lotus Elise...Even though it's slower than the Vette.

I wonder if I will be unhappy after buying a Corvette and I will be wanting more out of my car.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:55 AM   #30

So what did you do? The pics look great. I think I would've pulled the trigger and traded for it. If you got bored with it, you could always trade it for a newer boxster later on.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
How can 49K be considered low milage?
That comes out to 7,000 miles a year. That's not super low, but it isn't a high mileage daily driver either. A car might have 100k miles on it, but if it is a 1975 model then that would be considered low mileage because it was only driven an average of 3,125 miles a year. You always have to take the model year into account.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #32

anyone notice it had a CASSETTE TAPE holder? That's a deal breaker for me!!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #33

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I still love that 996 and the color, Any update on weather your getting it or not?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #34

Keep us updated, please.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Easy fix thanks to eBay.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:14 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Yeah, that's an easy fix. I decided to wait until I can get a day of top down driving in my Boxster again before I make a descision. Plus I thought I should pay off what's left of my home theatre first. If it's still there in April-May I will make my descision on it. If it's sold i'll just wait until I find another opportunity.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Yeah, that's an easy fix. I decided to wait until I can get a day of top down driving in my Boxster again before I make a descision. Plus I thought I should pay off what's left of my home theatre first. If it's still there in April-May I will make my descision on it. If it's sold i'll just wait until I find another opportunity.
There will always be another opportunity to buy - always good to not rush into a big purchase for something you don't truly need. I don't have that kind of self control (I would have bought the 911), but I recommend it to others.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote