Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #1

convertible top

Today, I took off my hard top to install a new brake light (smoked one). When i went to try and close the soft top it was about 2 to 3 inches from actually closing and it was to far to actually clip it. Anyone no why.. i was thinking it was cold (22 degrees) and maybe the fabric and the plastic shrunk. Either one i just want to know how to adjust the top anyone have any ideas how to do this?

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #2

Mine has the same problem every time, but yours problem is not the reason that mine is. when I close my top, the 2 steel side pices the fold the rool has a bead that sits in the steel when it is closed the bead seams to over lap the steel and not sit in the proper spot so it is sitting on the out side of the steel not in the middle, so it is stretching the top like a spring witch is stoping it from going all the way. I have to get out when the tops about 10 inches from closed, then tuck the bead in the steel then close all the way. any ideas on how to stop this? is this an alinement issue? hard to read with my spelling so hope the pic helps

hope that helps if thats the problem

Last edited by bosxter7; 02-10-2007 at 08:26 PM.
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:09 AM   #3

Is this a consistent problem or first time? Do you think it was the result of having the top down long term with the hardtop? I been wondering if that has any effects.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:13 AM   #4

I personally believe this stretching issue has a lot to do with the top being down long-term. My car must have had a hard top on it for a number of years with a previous owner (who bought the car in Utah where it's cold!). The top itself is in fairly good condition and the plastic window is pristine for a 1997.

However, all the elastic bands are stretched out and have no more elasticity in them. Also the side cables that run through the fabric and put the sides of the top into that groove are stretched too, and the top comes outside of the grooves every single time I raise the top.

When lowering it, I must do a double chop and it take a lot longer to lower it without pinching the top in the back.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #5

hi definitely much too cold. You are lucky plastic window (if it is plastic) didnt break!!! btw I am from NJ if u ever need a top or window, i am an expert in this field. I subcontract for a number of dealers as well as GAHH and Cabrioworld. 862-222-4618 thanks, Peter
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #6

The top is 2 yrs old and i think it's the cold that made the top seem like it shrunk.. Just for curiousity reasons how much would it be for you to put on a top that I already have. My friend paid 250 to have a top put on. The company he used was up in Mahwah and did work for east coast mazda,vw,toyota , and several other dealers.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #7

My top is doing this. Is there a corrective measure for this other than another one?