Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #1

40 amp fuse???

Hey guys,

Need your help. I can't seem to find this fuse online. I did a few searches on our site and just a general google search. Came up empty.

Anyway, this fuse is one of two big orange ones located in the rear trunk on the left side. They are just in front of the relay box. I am ONLY presuming that it should be the same as the one on the far left.

To my suprise, it was EMPTY when I was putting my trunk liners back in after checking the housing for my newly installed post-cat O2 sensors. I really don't know what this fuse is for. My service manual for fuses and relays seems to point to the rear spoiler??? But, I'm really not sure...any help???

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #2

Hi,

This is the 40Amp fuse for the Secondary Air Pump. See: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=MAXI5-40A for a 5-pack. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #3

Thanks Jim! That was FAST!!

I tell ya, this forum.....definitely couldn't own this car without it!
Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #4

BTW Jim, maybe a silly question but, where is the secondary air pump located and how come I didn't notice this while driving??
Old 02-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
It was blown on my boxster afew weeks ago... i think cause the Pasadena Ferrari/Porsche dealer that replaced my seat belts alittle more than 2 years ago tapped into the red wire that leads into that 40 amp fuse for extra ground. When that fuse blew, the air bag light came on.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
BTW Jim, maybe a silly question but, where is the secondary air pump located and how come I didn't notice this while driving??
cause it only comes on in the am or when you start the car first time in say.... 6 hours and operates sorta quietly for afew seconds then turns off.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 02-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #7

Hey CJ,
Sorry, maybe I need more coffee to wake me up or something, but I'm not sure I'm following you? Are you saying that the fuse maybe missing purposely and I shouldn't replace it?? OR are you suggesting that this may be the reason why my airbag light might be on??

As for your second reply,...ohhhh, I see. I'll have to check it out, when I turn the car on. I don't think I have heard that sound before,..at least on this car...I guess ever since I bought it, I never heard it...thus, never noticed. Thanks.

BTW, how does this secondary air pump help the car if it only turns on for a short while??
Old 02-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #8

The question about the airbag light.... No, this doesnt apply to you, This was some kinda of mickey mouse job that the porsche dealer did to my boxster. I dont think its typical. I was just telling a story while telling you that you DO need the fuse but if its missing you wouldnt notice.

Second question... Yes you should goto PepBoys and buy the 40amp fuse and install it, It supplies the engine with needed vacum when first started.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 02-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #9

LOL! Ok, I thought I was losing it or something...thanks for the info! Sorry to hear about the mishap from the dealer......all that money that they charge, one would think they'd be more precise.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
The question about the airbag light.... No, this doesnt apply to you, This was some kinda of mickey mouse job that the porsche dealer did to my boxster. I dont think its typical. I was just telling a story while telling you that you DO need the fuse but if its missing you wouldnt notice.

Second question... Yes you should goto PepBoys and buy the 40amp fuse and install it, It supplies the engine with needed vacum when first started.
Hi,

Sorry, nope. The secondary airpump works to bring the Cats up to operating temp quickly to reduce emissions when cold starting the car while it is in Closed Loop operation. It injects air directly into the exhaust system (via the exhaust ports in the heads) so the emissions burn hotter and more completely. The Catalytic Matrix heats up more quickly this way and burns cleaner. It does not produce any vacuum at all, it is a positive pressure electric pump.

There is a vacuum operated Changeover Valve which cuts the circuit in/out to the Secondary Air Pump, but this is supplied from a Vacuum Reservoir which is supplied by engine vacuum. Hope this helps...

Old 02-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #11

Oops! Sorry....

.....I was totally mistaken. I guess I should have taken a flashlight to this before...the housing at first glance looked very similar to the one for the 40 amps.
Actually, it's not for a fuse at all. It's a female connector for something???? I don't know what it is though. It looks more like a port??? It's right next to the 40 amp fuse so, if one of you guys could check it out quickly on one of your cars you'll see what I mean.

Sorry, my pictures are too dark to post.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #12

BTW, I did go out to Aid Auto to buy the 40 amp fuse (re: 1 fuse for $3 --- future reference --- it would defintely be more cost effective for anyone who would want to purchase this type of fuse to go Jim's route with the link that he gave before w/c was for a box of 5 fuses --although I don't know what the shipping would have been). Anyway, that's how I realized it wasn't for a fuse at all...
Old 02-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #13

Quote:
.....I was totally mistaken. I guess I should have taken a flashlight to this before...the housing at first glance looked very similar to the one for the 40 amps.
Actually, it's not for a fuse at all. It's a female connector for something???? I don't know what it is though. It looks more like a port??? It's right next to the 40 amp fuse so, if one of you guys could check it out quickly on one of your cars you'll see what I mean.

Sorry, my pictures are too dark to post.

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't think to mention this b4, but the recepticle to the right of the Secondary Air Pump fuse is for a Test Harness for the Oxygen Sensors, it's supposed to be open. Hope this helps...

Old 02-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #14

Got it, thanks Jim....so how would one test the 02 sensors using this receptacle? Is this just for the post-cats??
Old 02-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Got it, thanks Jim....so how would one test the 02 sensors using this receptacle? Is this just for the post-cats??
Hi,

I believe it's a PST2 Port, specifically for OČ sensors, but not certain...

Old 02-10-2007, 04:46 AM   #16

Hey Jim,
Thanks again. At least I now know what the heck it's for....better yet, that it is suppose to be empty! Whew! I got worried there for a bit.