Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #1

DSP Upgrade Question

Hi,

MY 2000 Boxster has the audio setup with speakers at the door and an amplifier (option M490???). I want to upgrade it to the DSP. Is this possible? The parts I'm looking at are 996 645 312 00 for the amplifier and 996 645 201 02. Are these the right parts? Are they difficult to install? Where do I get the DSP processor mounting plate for the dash?

Please help.

Thanks,
Iwan

fxyik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:50 AM   #2

Yeah, it's possible, but why would you want to? Most comments I've heard from people with it, hate it. Anyhow, to your question, you'll need the amp, the batwing controller and the wiring harness that runs from the amp back to the batwing. You'll have to run those both thru the firewall and the trunk wall in front of the battery. Plus I think a few more wires on top of that...

Sounds like your goal is better sound. If so, check out these two links on the wiki:

Upgrading the Boxster's Sound System (by Andy M on Renntech)
http://boxster.wikia.com/images/b/b6/Boxster_speakers_update_article.pdf

Door Speaker Baffle Template (by some jerk named Burg Boxster)
http://boxster.wikia.com/images/b/bf/Door_Baffle_Template.pdf

The biggest weakness in the sound system is crappy speakers and Porsche outdid themselves on that task. The improvements you'll acheive by swapping out the OEMs w/ some decent (under $100 per pair) speaks will be like night and day.

Good luck!

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote